Simple Question about Special Relativity

stevesims

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 08:11 am
I posted this to the other thread just now:

I think I may be starting to get just a glimmer of understanding on this question. My problem has been in a way of thinking that is too "caught up with" concepts of before and after, older and younger....and thinking of time in a temporal manner rather than a spatial one.

At the beginning of the experiment, Betty and Alice are coincident in space-time, although they are in different inertial frames.

Thereafter, they are heading in different directions in 4 dimensional space-time. Significant to the question, the time components of their vectors through space-time are not the same.

If we were to ask which of two physical objects was spatially before the other in space, we would ask the question "From which direction?" That's because they both can be said to be "before" or "after" the other depending on which side of the two that you are on when you are looking and judging before, and after.

Once we consider the same notion from a temporal point of view, that question kind of gets lost. I think that in order to answer my own question that I must consider a complete journey through space-time for each with some well-defined starting and ending points, and then ask the question: "With regards to the time-domain of each journey, which one followed the longer path?"
dalehileman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 11:47 am
@stevesims,
Steve you are experiencing the same sort of thought-conflict I have harbored for decades tho you express it far more intelligently. Yet in spite of expert denials I detect a persistent uncomfortable feeling that a Paradox still lurks in the dim background

This morn I hope to deliver on my promise of an alternate theory. However my Better Half, who is by the way far better, has reminded me repeatedly tht my chores suffer from my long bouts on a2k. But I promise, anyhow, it'll be tomorrow

...or at least next week for sure

Meeanwhile if you're at all eager I guess you could search 'dalehileman relativity intuition' or sumthin' like; but don't feel obligated as so far nobody agrees in the slightest
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 11:51 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
and will ultimately be relaced by something else again
Yea, yes, sure Oli, and it's my own theory of relative relativity that not only resolves the Paradox but explains in terms friendly to the intuition, all those peculiar changes apparently suffered by the moving object

Now, if only at 86 my mem wasn't suffering so and the Search weren't such a tedious process....
dalehileman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 11:53 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
entirely on Newtonian physics
Aha!! thank you Gung, his might be just like, or a variation of, mine. I'll be disappointed tho, if his was first

I promise to search and deliver but my BH is beckoning....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 12:40 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Here is everything you need to know about relativity, special or otherwise: Albewrt Einstein was a goofball with a 170 IQ and relativity is a bunch of bullshit, just like evolution.Ron Hatch who holds most of the meaningful patents for GPS notes that GPS works entirely on Newtonian physics and if you tried to make it work on Einsteinian physics, it would not work.

Yeah, that's just not correct gungasnake. I'm not going to get into it with you, but you are wrong and it's probably best that you just leave the science stuff to the science people. I'd hate to see your brand of science being taught to anyone.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 12:48 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I'd hate to see your brand of science being taught to anyone
Okay Mac but how about mine

If you're really curious try Search for 'dalehileman relativity,' 'dale alternate theory,' dalehileman Einstein,' 'hileman intuition relativity," etc etc etc

...tho wouldn't blame you if you didn't. I promise to do so eventually but yardwork calls....
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 12:48 pm
@dalehileman,
I like the idea of you relating a theory of relative relativity. You have it described in a format relatively easy to relay, and in a place relatively simple to locate relative to our present (and relativist) spacetime?
dalehileman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 12:55 pm
@Olivier5,
Thank you Oli for responding; indeed I have entered 'Oli' on my Good Guys list

Quote:
√in a place relatively simple to locate
Coincidentally I just responded to a query in one of these 'relativity' chats describing my reluctance to conduct a search. Every time I think I have it nailed Google somehow frustrates me

But I will eventually unearth of few of them very incompetently attempting an explanation of my 'relative relativity.' In brief, I provide a more nearly Newtonian version with--God help me--the speed of light also being relative
McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 01:01 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

the speed of light also being relative

tsk. C is a constant for a reason...
Olivier5

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 01:03 pm
@McGentrix,
which is?...
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 01:06 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
tsk. C is a constant for a reason...
Of course Mac, I understand why it's supposed to be a constant, and I don't deny Einstein. I only provide an alternative expl more comfortable to the Intuition. I've been advised that I'm f of s but nobody has yet provided much of a rebuttal
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 06:22:51