Looks like I have taken the wrong train :(

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 03:25 pm
I have been married for a little over a year. I knew her for 5 years before we married. When I say knew her, I meant we were friends and have kept up with each other when I joined the Navy. We started texting back and forth when we found each other on facebook. She flew out to see me a couple of times and right off the bat she talked about marriage. She had always seemed to have a good head on her shoulder. She is a CNP and has her own office. The last woman I dated did not know how to handle money. After 3 years I finally found out. Well.... come to find out a year into the marriage, my wife is over 100K in debt and she has nothing to show for it. This is tearing us apart. We have always had separate checking accounts because that is what she wanted. There has been all kind of mail in the past from many different banks and noticed that she would always throw them in the garbage without opening them. I have caught her in countless lies and when I show her the proof she continues to stick to her story and even changes the story some times. I never asked her to marry me. It is something that just happened. She had brought it up a lot and I finally just went along with it and the next thing you know i put the golden ring on the wrong left hand! Sad but true. From my perspective she will be very difficult to change even if she is willing. Like I said, She denies everything.

Has anyone here ever been in my situation? If so, how did it end? She is wanting to have kids but I cant let myself get into that kind of situation... We should have kids when we can afford them and not have to stress about providing for the family.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 260 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 03:32 pm
@WrongTrain,
Why the hell are you staying married? Let alone talking about bringing children into that clusterf?

Because this is massive debt and significant mismanagement of funds, but it is also a bunch of huge lies. What else, pray tell, is she concealing from you?

If you get out now, you might be able to retain a shred of your own credit rating, particularly if you make it clear to her creditors that her debts preceded your marriage. Oh, and if she has fraudulently prepared joint income tax forms and you signed them, guess what? You could also be prosecuted for fraud. So think twice before committing to hanging around and enabling this behavior. Because a serious debt like that, without it being medical or advanced educational debt (neither of which you mention) means a long-term pattern of financial mismanagement.

At best, she is horribly careless with money and possibly addicted to shopping, gambling, or any of a host of other money-sucking activities. At worst, she's been deceitful about funds, probably for several years, and may have committed a few types of fraud, including, as I mentioned, with tax returns, and perhaps check kiting. Because you do not get that far into a debt morass without something else going on.

Why stay?
WrongTrain

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 03:42 pm
@jespah,
I will not bring kids into this world with her. We share no accounts together and the house is in my name. we filed separate last year because we were married in January. She was wanting my w-2 so she could start doing the taxes and I refused. I thought to myself that if I can not trust this woman with my finances or have children with her then it may be time to split. But getting her out of the house will be a chore. I really care about her but I want to have kids one day but cant given her habits. She says some is educational, I have asked in the past and she will not share with me everything that she owes. All she has told me is that it was a little over 100k. So... even thought we will take a hit on our taxes we are both going to file separate.

I really just have a big heart and cant just kick someone out to the curb. Just hoping she will leave on her own. We have been sleeping in separate rooms for the last 2 months. thats no way to live though.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 04:17 pm
Insist that your wife go to a financial manager and turn everything over to her/him to handle. She needs to be put on a "dollar diet." Cut up those credit cards.

NO kids until this is all taken care of or at least manageable.

Are you serious about throwing in the towel because of this? There are many people in debt with school loans.

Sit down together with this budget manager, and insist that you keep separate accounts, just in case.
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 07:33 pm
@WrongTrain,
Quote:
From my perspective she will be very difficult to change even if she is willing. Like I said, She denies everything.

You cannot change the behavior of another person. No matter how much logic you show, how you plead or threaten you cannot change the behavior of another person. In case I wasn't clear: You cannot change the behavior of another person.
Divorce her immediately. She is chaotic. She will use you up until you have nothing left (financially and emotionally) and then she will discard you and go use up someone else. Get out quickly. Move out in the middle of the night and go sleep in you're lawyer's lobby. File for divorce first thing in the morning. Good luck to you.
WrongTrain

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 03:55 am
@PUNKEY,
I am serious about throwing in the towel. A full year of deception has destroyed the trust in this marriage. The more I think of it the more furious I get. I can not get her to goto a financial advisor. She continues to state that she has no problem. I was at the computer last week running a check on my credit report. She was really interested to see what mine said. After we went thru mine I asked if she would like to go thru hers and right at that moment she froze, not knowing what to say, stood up and walked away in silence.

It was a mistake to get married as quick as we did. We should had discussed more things and maybe should has done premarital counciling but hindsight is 20/20 and what's done is done.

0 Replies

WrongTrain

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 04:09 am
@TomTomBinks,
She has used me up emotionally for sure. I do understand that she can not be changed unless she is willing. She doesn't think she has a problem at all. She stated that everyone has that type of debt. Well... I showed her as she looked at my credit report that I was not everyone.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Looks like I have taken the wrong train :(
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 01:26:38