Punctuation in British English

Nat093

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2017 06:50 pm
I have been told that in British English, If a complete sentence in quotes comes at the end of a larger sentence, the final stop should be inside the quotation mark.

But if quote an author's words within a sentence, then should I put a comma outside the quotation mark? As in:

Cognitive Linguistics constitutes "a cluster of many partially overlapping approaches", according to Brown (2003: 23).

I would really appreciate your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 549 • Replies: 11
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 01:44 am
Yes. If the quotation does not include any punctuation, the closing inverted commas should precede any punctuation marks that the sentence requires.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2017 09:35 pm
@Nat093,
I don'g know why, Natr, but over here the comma comes first, even though it seems illogical
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 02:19 pm
@centrox,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:23 pm
@centrox,
I would like to repeat my question which remains unanswered:

I often read in books that in British English comma is put outside the quotation mark in sentences like the ones given below:

'We don’t want to go on holiday to the same place every year', he said impatiently.

'I'll go with you', she said.

Could you tell me please it these sentences are punctuated correctly? What is the rule?
centrox

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:45 pm
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:
I would like to repeat my question which remains unanswered:

It was completely answered thus:

Quote:
If the quotation does not include any punctuation, the closing inverted commas should precede any punctuation marks that the sentence requires.

Nat093

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:29 pm
@centrox,
Since I always learn through examples, let me give you one:

John said: I'm leaving tomorrow.

Then, I would say: 'I'm leaving tomorrow,' John said.

Is that right? If so, I suppose that in situations involving direct speech, commas usually go inside quotation marks becuase they are part of the quoted material.

I asked about that beacuse some books cite examples like:

'Come here', he told me. (where the comma goes outside the quotation marks)
dalehileman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 11:53 am
@Nat093,
Nat, I believe Cen is telling you that your q's have already been answered so perhaps you should try rephrasing 'em

Cen, is that right or am I still wandering around in the apparent dark

Quote:
Quote:
If ..., the closing inverted commas should precede any ...
Example; the speedreader is stopped by 'closing inverted commas,' since they appear not to be inverted, only elevated

No offense Cen, just sorta kiddin'

...sorta
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 01:35 pm
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:
John said: I'm leaving tomorrow.

Then, I would say: 'I'm leaving tomorrow,' John said.

Is that right? If so, I suppose that in situations involving direct speech, commas usually go inside quotation marks becuase they are part of the quoted material.

There is no comma in your quoted material.

Quote:
I asked about that beacuse some books cite examples like:

'Come here', he told me. (where the comma goes outside the quotation marks)

Those books are correct.

Nat093

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 02:03 pm
@centrox,
You said that:
'If the quotation does not include any punctuation, the closing inverted commas should precede any punctuation marks that the sentence requires.'

But the sentence 'I'm leaving tomorrow.' does include punctuation (i.e. the period at the end). That is why I thought that in direct speech, a comma is placed where a period would go.

So if the books are correct, I should place the comma outside the quotes? As in:

'I'm leaving tomorrow', John said.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 02:15 pm
@Nat093,
Cen I'm gonna hafta agree with Nat, as I've asked myself the same q

To old me the World isd a lot more complex than with you fellas so forgive me if I seem to bother ya. For instance with the last sentence I can't understand how gmy pc can'r edgognize 'isd' as a misspelling of 'is' or 'gmy' of 'my'

...or 'edgognize' of 'recognize'

I've wondered whether the spelling ed.s are selected on the basis of a low min iq

Yes yes I realize 'ed.s' isn't the usu way but I thought I might energize another TAATANE

Just kiddin' Nat, love ya
...that is if you're real
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Punctuation in British English
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:16:55