Help, random letter

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 12:35 pm
There are lots of ways but every one apparently so complicated or requires pc link

https://www.google.com/?client=safari&channel=mac_bm#channel=mac_bm&q=+quickly+get+letter+at+random+or+1-26

So I'd like a quick one I can do in my head. It can't for instance be based on date but how about time

Thanks guys
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 835 • Replies: 30
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 12:41 pm
You want one letter of the alphabet from A to Z, chosen at random? Will you want more after that?

Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 12:43 pm
If I had an inkling what you were writing about, perhaps I'd have an answer.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 12:49 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
A to Z, chosen at random?
'zakly, Cen

Quote:
more after that?
A bit later, yes. I understand why you asked but the period between is pretty random
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 12:51 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
what you were writing about

The English alphabet, Stur. You gotta forgive me that my q might confuse the esl
Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 12:54 pm
@dalehileman,
But why are you trying to generate random letters? Is that your planned method for future postings, just spit out whatever letters come up?
dalehileman

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 12:56 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
But why
Well this morning Stur I wanted to pick a correspondent at random but then the idea began to intrigue
Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 12:58 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
..this morning I wanted to pick a correspondent at random...

Is your wife aware of your freewheeling and free love ways desires?
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 01:00 pm
Assuming you read books, and keep them on shelves, go to a bookshelf and starting at the top shelf, and working from left to right, take the first letter of the title of each book, (or of its author's name).
dalehileman

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 01:05 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
Assuming you read books
I used to

Quote:
first letter of the title ...or... name).
Thanks Cen, a great idea temporarily til I can find an easier quicker way
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 02:58 pm
Rapidly recite the alphabet in your head, starting again after Z, and ask someone else to say "stop!" unexpectedly, and choose the last letter you thought of, or recite it in your head until the second hand on your watch reaches some number.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 05:11 pm
@centrox,
Golly Cen thanks again, but lemme know wontcha if you have a better idea; requiring no help

Should be easy shouldn't it
nacredambition

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2017 10:57 pm
@dalehileman,
Shuffle up and deal a deck of 52 cards with red cards representing the first thirteen letters and black cards representing the second 13 letters.

The really exciting bit is deciding with or without replacement.

centrox

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 01:40 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Golly Cen thanks again, but lemme know wontcha if you have a better idea; requiring no help

Should be easy shouldn't it
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 11:56 am
@nacredambition,
Nacre, thanks, greag idea. But I'd like to find a method that doesn't require eqpt or externals of any kind
nacredambition

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 09:12 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
But I'd like to find a method that doesn't require eqpt or externals of any kind

Imagine all the letters are painted on marbles made from precious and semi-precious stones of 26 different hues. See them twinkle as if to beckon you to peer ever more deeply into the bag. Jump into the bag and grab one of them. Swim to the surface with it held tightly in your left hand. Feel how round it is. Hold the marble up to your eyes but without looking at it release it back into the wild. Then think of a letter.
centrox

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 03:38 am
I don't see what the problem is. Just think of a letter. Like so: D. I'll do it again: Q. And again: P. Where is the difficulty?
nacredambition

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 06:27 am
Think of a number between 1 and 26. Triple it. Add 6. Divide by 2. Subtract the number you first thought of. Take 3. Multiply by 2. Convert the number to a letter based on its position in the alphabet.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 12:13 pm
@nacredambition,
Quote:
...into the wild. Then think of a letter
Damb but that was a good'n', a Bit ov'an Acre

Interesting, coincidentally an erstwhile rockhound
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2017 12:15 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
Where is the difficulty?
Your average slob (me), Trox, will get into a repetitious habit

1. Forums
  2. » Help, random letter
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 03:34:22