Lacto-Fermented Pickles?

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2017 07:52 pm
Hi everyone.

To get straight to the point, I'm an amateur at pickling who just put up his first batch, using pickling cukes purchased from a local supermarket. I followed a recipe for New York Sour Pickles from "The Joy Of Pickling" by Linda Ziedrich. I followed the recipe exactly, right down to keeping them at the right temp (between 64 and 74 degrees), and I used a fermentation kit with glass jars, fermentation weights, and air locks that my cousin had given me. The recipe said the pickles would be olive green and ready to eat within 2 weeks, but that wasn't the case. I let them go longer (and I guess I forgot about them), finally trying one after 8 weeks. Now, the color still wasn't right (like it wasn't fermented enough), but I tasted one, and it was ok, still crunchy. not soft. I was satisfied, but felt I could do better.

Any idea what went wrong/advice for next time? Help would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 387 • Replies: 5
No top replies

hightor

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 03:44 am
@Dave9939,
When I've done these I've just used a crock and a weighted plate to keep them submerged. The recipe you used looks fine. Next time, try to get fresh cukes from a farmer's market. What I have noticed is that different batches yield slightly different results. Eight weeks is not too long — people used to keep these all winter in a cool cellar.
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 11:41 am
Our local deli offers "new" or "old" pickles. The new are light colored.
Dave9939

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 01:34 pm
@PUNKEY,
I'm more a fan of the "old" style, I guess. Fresh/refrigerator brands like Claussen, or Ba Tampte, just don't do it for me.
0 Replies

Dave9939

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 01:45 pm
@hightor,
I actually did think about using a crock pot to make pickles, but I don't want the thing to smell like pickles for the foreseeable future no matter how hard I try to scrub it out.

I checked the local farm stands and farmers markets during the warmer whether, but nobody seemed to have pickling cukes. I was surprised I finally found them when I did, so I grabbed them up.
jespah

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 05:47 pm
@Dave9939,
You can buy slow cooker liners, BTW.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Lacto-Fermented Pickles?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 08:15:05