Freedom of assembly=freedom of movement

lylsyly

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 01:42 pm
Wouldn't freedom to assemble imply freedom of movement?
This is specifically asked in the situation of being arrested for trespassing when I was standing on public property (the median on a road).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 440 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 01:55 pm
@lylsyly,
No, Sly Lyly, I'd say no; that is, you can't just assemble anywhere
Lay, Con, Izzy, help
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 02:56 pm
@lylsyly,
What country are you in? This will help in defining the laws in your location.

In the United States, whereas there is freedom of assembly, there can be restrictions. Restrictions with regard to where, when and how (in what manner) . There can also be restriction with regard to obtaining a permit for the gathering.

In your case, if you were alone or even with 1 or 2 others, there may be a safety issue involved since you mention standing on a road median. Safety of yourself and of people driving would likely be part of the decision
dalehileman

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 02:59 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
What country are you in?
Yea Sly Lyl I keep asserting that everyone needs a profile

...suggestion frequently criticized by the a2k'er seeming terribly angry at all times about nearly everything (Stur, Chai, Reg, Oss....Tess, Mon, Izzy...just kidding of course) on the basis that I'm violating the basic principle of the a2k phenom

...tho, Sly Lyl Lying, my response, I'm just trying to be helpful, that paras and carrets would encourage more response. However the lack of response suggests they might be right after all, in which case my most profuse apologies

Purely incidental of course but has anyone else noticed how in a2k software "l" so resembles "!"
centrox

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 03:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Purely incidental of course but has anyone else noticed how in a2k software "l" so resembles "!"

It doesn't if you choose a suitable font.
centrox

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 03:25 pm
Freedom of assembly is the individual right or ability of people to come together and collectively express, promote, pursue, and defend their ideas. The United States Constitution explicitly provides for 'the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances' in the First Amendment.

Common constraints on the right to assemble are a class of time, place and manner regulations. A second type of constraint is the requirement to obtain a permit, where coordination may be needed to ensure public safety.

Being in the median of a highway for no good reason is almost certainly a violation of laws intended to protect public safety. In my country we have similar laws and also it is forbidden to go onto a railway outside of the passenger areas on stations etc, (especially on the tracks) and you can get a fine or worse. Similar in airports.

No way are these laws infringements of anybody's liberty.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 03:36 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
choose a suitable font
Alas Trox it all gets so complex
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 03:33 am
Freedom of assembly does not give you the right to stand right in the middle of the f***ing road.

centrox

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 04:20 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Freedom of assembly does not give you the right to stand right in the middle of the f***ing road.

You get these questions sometimes to do with "freedom of speech" issues - e.g. isn't it my right to say the N-word if I want to, because (usually) "the Constitution says I have freedom of speech". Such "freedoms" are always limited where common sense or public policy dictates, the canonical example being that you aren't free to shout "Fire!" in a crowded theatre. They usually come from someone who is feeling butt-hurt because they got social or legal disapproval for something they did.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 05:17 am
@centrox,
It's a good video though. I've been singing it all the way to Asda and back.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Freedom of assembly=freedom of movement
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:29:34