British English spelling

Nat093

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 04:56 pm
I have a question to British English speakers. I have read on the Internet the following:

"British spelling mostly uses -ise, while -ize is also used (organise/organize, realise/realize, recognise/recognize)"

"Verbs in British English that can be spelled with either -ize or -ise at the end."

Is it true that you use -ize spelling as an alternative to -ise spelling? Is it common?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 339 • Replies: 4
No top replies

centrox

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 05:42 pm
Both are acceptable in each region, although the -ise versions are dominant in BrE and the -ize version in AmE.
Nat093

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 05:51 pm
@centrox,
So, if I used -ize ending (as in organized) (which is also used, but less frequently, in British English) and -our ending (as in behaviour) in academic work, wouldn't it mean that I mix styles? Would it be fine?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 08:30 pm
@Nat093,
1. What is the current accepted spelling, and 2. Use it consistently in the same composition.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/20-words-with-more-than-one-spelling/
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 02:39 am
@Nat093,
Quote:
if I used -ize ending (as in organized) (which is also used, but less frequently, in British English) and -our ending (as in behaviour) in academic work, wouldn't it mean that I mix styles? Would it be fine?

Yes, using e.g. organize, and also e.g. colour in the same piece would be to mix styles. Best practice is to choose one style for a piece and stick to it. It would be perverse, and an error, to choose the American style for a mainly British English readership and vice versa.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » British English spelling
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:13:22