Your favorite choice of streaming to TV tech?

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2017 04:46 pm
What kind of direct to tv streaming device do you prefer to stream online video to your tv?

Apple TV; Roku; Google Chromecast; Amazon Fire; already built in smart tv; directly connecting your PC to your tv; Jedi mindtrick; something else?

I use an early version of Chromecast and am wondering if I should upgrade to the latest version.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,911 • Replies: 5
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2017 05:15 pm
I have a DLNA server on my NAS drive, which my smart TV can play from, and I get material onto it using Bit Torrent. Also I have a a (UK market) PVR which has apps including the BBC iPlayer which gives me access to the last 30 days BBC output, plus a bunch of other apps. None of this needs any subscriptions.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2017 11:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Apple TV for me. Netflix and ITunes. Amazon prime on the IPad.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 08:41 am
@rosborne979,
I kind of wish Amazon and Google would make a truce and allow their services on each other's devices.

At least right now, Chromecast doesn't support Amazon video or music. I have an Echo so I listen to Amazon Music on that. Great sound but not the most reliable connection. I use my Sony BluRay to watch Amazon Video on my tv but the user interface is chunky and the remote control is a minor pain in the tuchas.

Amazon doesn't stream Youtube and neither does my BluRay.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 09:14 am
@tsarstepan,
Do you have the new Chromecast or one of the old ones?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 08:09 am
@rosborne979,
I presently have the first generation one but bought the Chromecast 2 (latest version) last night.
0 Replies