Writing implements: pencils v. pens

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:48 pm
I prefer pencil to pen when writing.

I have a mechanical pencil and I like Berol Turquoise drawing leads (HB) because they make a fat black line. I use a pencil pointer to keep it sharp.

In a pinch I'll use a Mirado Black Warrior Pencil.

If I have to use a pen, please give me a Rapidograph #2 .60 even though I wear them out so quickly and they're a total pain in the neck.

In a pinch I like a Uniball gel pen (medium point).

Truthfully, I haven't made a study of writing instruments but I have stumbled across these and have stuck with them. I'll really use anything but one of those fake wood pencils.

Do you have a prefered writing implement?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 797 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:52 pm
non-bleeding, black bic pen

can't use anything other than a mechanical pencil. normal ones don't have that fine tip to them.

i also like the black markers you find at hobby lobby. used to write on greeting cards & such (non-bleeding again, of course)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:57 pm
sharpie finepoint
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 08:51 pm
I like a slim Papermate ink pen because I have small hands...I can't write with big fat pens.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:01 pm
Pilot Razor Point and mechanical pencil
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:14 pm
colorbook wrote:
I like a slim Papermate ink pen because I have small hands...I can't write with big fat pens.

ah every day i find out more about this woman and eeryday i love her more....
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:18 pm
Caran d'Ache Pen or Pelikan pen with black ink.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:23 pm
Interesting.

Its all over the map!

I got hooked on Rapidograph pens when I took some animation classes in college (back in the olden days when they still drew cels). I used to have a ridged, kind of serrated callus from the pens on my middle finger from the constant pressure. I still have the callus and honestly, a bit of a finger deformaty from them -- but those pens fit so comfortably in my hands still. The mechanical pencil I use has a fat barrel with a sandpaperish section that rests against the same callus. My hands are gruesome.

What you said about your hands, colorbook, made me think of my mother's beautiful hands. Very small and delicate and perfectly formed.

When I complement her on her hands she says "You should have seen my mother's hands. They were perfect."

I'm wondering if our choice of writing implements has a connection with how we view our hands.....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:42 pm
I used to have a callous on my third finger, right hand, from the constant use of drawing pencils and pens. The third finger because I never held my pencil "properly'", according to my teachers in grammer school.

The callous has disappeared since I've been on the computer, about ten years now. I'd forgotten all about that until reading boomerang's last post.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 10:00 pm
I worked in an office for many years, before computers. I can remember having a callous on the second finger of my right hand that really stood out. Even though I had a typewriter, I still had to write out a lot of memos by hand. Sometimes my hand would ache from pressing very hard, through 4 or 5 carbon copies.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 10:06 pm
in grade school and middle school i was a bit of a terror... can anyone imagine that? my mother couldnt for some reason... well being the terror i was, i was given write off assigments... (where you have to write a certain sentence say 100 times or some obscene amount of times) well through out the year i would accumilate quite a few of these little devils. So callous' I know all about... i did try the mulitiple pens/pencils taped together to try and lessin the load... never really did work...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 10:18 pm
Seed wrote:
i did try the mulitiple pens/pencils taped together to try and lessin the load... never really did work...

I remember that!! Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:25 am
I cannot stand writing with a regular wooden pencil. It gives me the willies. I definitely prefer pens, but they have to be a deceit quality as the only thing worse than a wooded pencil is a leaky pen. I don't mind mechanical pencils, but the lead cannot be too light or too thick.

As part of my job, I make edits to reports and gather comments from others. So, I also like to use different colors of fine-tip markers. This makes it easier to read my comments and the color codes help me to keep track who commented on what.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:08 pm
mostly the only time I use a pen is to wtie on checks and signing my name and that;s about it - working in a paperless company works pretty well for me - I hate writing.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:19 pm
eoe wrote:
Pilot Razor Point and mechanical pencil
ditto
red PRP's are perfect for marking up drawings...
will use a ballpoint for the more official stuff...

ok, fess up: who wears, or has ever worn, a pocket protector!?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:19 am
My dad used to - it was pretty embarrassing, but then again most things my dad wore and said when I was a teenager was embarrassing. I never have, but then I don't carry my pens in my pockets - an advantage of being a woman - pocketbooks.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:34 am
My dad should have worn one!

Every "dress" shirt he had bore ink blobs under the pocket. A Rorschach wardrobe.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:41 am
My father wore one. My husband does not but has only ruined a couple of shirts since I've known him.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Writing implements: pencils v. pens
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 07:38:36