Fashion trends and handwriting

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:58 pm
Every year sees changes in fashion. This is evident mostly in clothing and hairstyles, but can be seen in automobiles, music, and architecture.

I was wondering if handwriting has fashion trends.

I graduated HS in the mid-1980s, and I remember that almost 100% of the girls in my class wrote with big loopy cursive letters--really hard to read, in my opinion, but that's not the issue.

Anyway, I don't remember then seeing any adults writing that way. Is this something most girls do--write in fancy loops, then lose it as they grow up, or do women, class of 1985-ish still write that way?

Could there be generational trends in handwriting, beyond what is taught as "proper" (e.g. the elongated "s" used in the 1700s)?

Thanks,

General Tsao
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,081 • Replies: 13
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:29 pm
i remember in the early 70's we had to practice writing in school, but there was no specific grade attached to it, where as my father (in school in the 40's) had to study penmanship and was graded on his abilities

when i've seen writing in my mothers yearbooks (again the 40' - 50's), i noticed a marked similarity between all the hand writing, probably due asi stated to having to learn the art, where as in my yearbooks there is no uniformity whatsoever

basically i'm saying i don't know how much writing has changed in the last little while but i think our attitudes towards it have
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:43 pm
At least in this part of the world, you can almost tell what generation a person belongs to, according to their handwriting.

Older people were taught Palmer caligraphy, they used fountain pens since they were small, stress was put on an orderly, "nice", handwriting.

My g-g-generation (40 to 55) was rebellious. We were also the first ones to use biros (boligraph, "atomic" pens). It's typical of us to combine cursive and script letters (I just checked: wrote a cursive and a script "o" in the same word), and to write straight (vis a vis the slanted, usually to the right, letters of our elders).

The next generation -25 to 35 year olds- was taught to write everything on script letters. Caligraphy lost importance. Many of them separate each letter a lot.

The younger ones are a little back into cursive letters, since it's taught again at schools (since 1992). They found out that people with scarse schooling had trouble reading messages written on cursive or palmer (like a letter from their mom).

We are yet to find out what permanent changes in handwriting are brought by the growing use of keyboards by children.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:04 pm
My mom has beautiful handwriting - I think she said it was the Palmer method - they had to write endless lines of loops and peaks as practice.

My siblings and I all have very different styles of writing despite an age difference of only 6 years. Clearly there was no "method" to penmanship being taught.

Still, when I look at each of my siblings handwriting I can see evidence of their particular personality traits: The busy guy, the perfectionist, the neurotic and the artist.

Anyway....

I love to see handwriting. I came across some of my father's handwriting not too long ago and it was really the first time I cried hard since he died.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:32 pm
I have to have the right pen, and it's just got to be a good day for my handwriting to rock. if these conditions are met, i always get compliments on my handwriting.

wrong pen plus 'not-happening' day makes me irritable. i like things to be neat and will waste several sheets of paper until the pen and I glide together the right way.

no question that i'm weird. I don't know how to explain it, just that I can tell from the first word I write whether it's a neat or ugly day.

I notice a lot of men go the all-caps route b/c their handwriting is THAT bad.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 10:45 pm
boomerang wrote:

Anyway....

I love to see handwriting. I came across some of my father's handwriting not too long ago and it was really the first time I cried hard since he died.

Boomerang,
You reminded me of something interesting. My father died when I was only eleven years old (that's not the 'interesting' part). I, of course, still had a child's handwriting.

Many years later, at least fifteen years, I came across a file full of my dad's various works. These would be address books, university notes, letters, etc.

Much to my astonishment, mine and his handwriting are remarkably similar! I was stunned, since I didn't really know his handwriting style, so I'm sure I didn't model mine after his.

Of course, maybe most men write similarly anyway (that combination of cursive and printing mentioned above).

General
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:30 pm
I had a freaky employer who wanted a handwritten writing sample before he employed me. He was big into reading personality traits from handwriting. I think it's mostly bull, since there are all kinds of factors that can influence handwriting (other than personality) - but he hired me and he knew how to sign his checks correctly so I didn't mind Smile .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 06:56 am
That is a great story, General!

I love that kind of happenstance.

Being so computerized these days I sometimes worry that I won't leave any handwriting to be discovered beyond an old grocery list.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:10 am
My daughter is in kindergarten and they are starting cursive writing now. At first I thought it was a bit much for such young children, but the school's thought is that cursive writing is expected in elementary school when writing papers and such so starting early is helpful. I was worried that it would be too much for my daughter, but she is doing fine with it so who am I to argue. Not sure what style of handwriting it is, but I have noticed that the method of writing (how you actually go about writing the letters) is slightly different depending on the letter from the way I was taught.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 07:12 am
Portal Star- At one time I dabbled in handwriting analysis, and I am convinced that there is something to it. After all, if you take a class of students who learned to write the exact same way, their handwriting will NOT be the same, even though their may be some similar characteristics, because of how the writing was taught.

I think that each person puts a bit of his own personality into his handwriting. After all, the act of writing is a situation where messages from the brain determine how the hand creates the writing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 05:56 pm
I thought/think Sozobe's handwriting thread is interesting - so many individual patterns revealed. I wish we could get more people to post samples there.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:03 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Portal Star- At one time I dabbled in handwriting analysis, and I am convinced that there is something to it. After all, if you take a class of students who learned to write the exact same way, their handwriting will NOT be the same, even though their may be some similar characteristics, because of how the writing was taught.

I think that each person puts a bit of his own personality into his handwriting. After all, the act of writing is a situation where messages from the brain determine how the hand creates the writing.

Well, I learned to write incorrectly, and I also have a strange (and mild) form of dyslexia. I also have a double jointed thumb and hold my pen sort of funny. So, my letters are very unusual - but I see that more as a reflection upon my learning and physicalities than personality. There's some truth to making assumptions (big, fancy letters, all caps, etc.) But this guy seriously thought he could... Predict what time your pipes were going to freeze that winter, and determine if you were prone to marriage problems from handwriting.
0 Replies

mchol

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 01:57 am
Just a quick comment, I've noticed that Asian girls have the cutest handwriting. Like ME! Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:00 am
Portal Star wrote:

But this guy seriously thought he could... Predict what time your pipes were going to freeze that winter, and determine if you were prone to marriage problems from handwriting.

I think that the guy is taking it a bit TOO far, but there ARE certain characteristics that pop out at you even though you may not know anything about handwriting analysis.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Fashion trends and handwriting
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 12:11:56