Friday Fung!

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:20 pm
Inspired by two of my favorite radio hosts, I start this thread titled Friday Fung. The idea is that I will give a topic and you just write your stories about that weeks topic. If you don't have a story feel free to join in the conversation anyway.

This weeks topic: Relative Greatness.

These are stories about your relatives and how they achieved a certain level of greatness. I'll go first.

My father, while working as a limo driver, met boxing great Leon Spinx. He was hired to do a charter (where he drove the same party around all night from spot to spot and they paid an hourly fee) and when he arrived at the address he was given out walked Leon dressed in a tuxedo. My father drove him to the function he was attending and waited outside for him to return.

A short while later Leon came out, bow tie already off and asked to be driven to a local bar. Here Leon spent the remainder of the night as my father waited outside. He emerged hours later, 3 sheets to the wind with a huge mustard stain down the front of his tux. He chatted the whole way home about his boxing career and when they finally arrived offered my father an autograph. He respectfully declined.

That is my tale of relative greatness.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 632 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:44 pm
My Dad almost got to go hunting with Fred Bear, Chuck Yeager, and Ted Nugent. One of his friends had arranged the hunt and figured my dad, a pilot, would hit it off with Yeager. The hunt never happened, Fred died.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:49 pm
That's the spirit cjhsa.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 07:46 pm
hmmm, my first note will be that this post was created on a tuesday and titled Friday Fung... just a little side note... now on to the subject at hand.....

my father, a great man in his own right was a welder for most of his life... he is now since medically retired and spends his time fixing the yard to his liking and then messing it up and putting it the way my mother wants it. so is the life of my parents... but on to the greatness that he says he acheived once in his life. He had just started working for the company in which he would spend the rest of his career and as he had just started he was in the lower rungs of the company... just a small little welder who did as he was told. He worked in Virigina, but was sent with a group of workers to California where he was to help for some stunt company where he would be building sets to help flip cars and what not. Well as the story progresses my father and his friends were drinking one night in one of the hollywood district bars and my father happened to be talking about his car and how fast it was. You know, a drunk man bragging about the size of engine under his hood you know, typical guy stuff... well as the story, as my father tells it, James Dean just happened to be over hearing this converstation and offered to race my father. He took up the dare and raced the man. Now my father gets a bit fuzy when remembering who actually won the race, and that leads me to believe that my father lost but just hates to tell everyone... my fathers claim to fame... now i hope that wasnt to confusing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Friday Fung!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 10:54:26