Reading - CAE - explanation of answer

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 04:52 pm
Hi, I prepare myself for CAE exam. I try to do this Reading and I haven't found out yet why the answer is C)
It doesn't makes too much sense to me! Can someone help me, why the answer is C? Smile possibly underline where is the answer.
Thanks a lot in advance! Smile

This book examines how the ever-changing role of colour in society has been reflected in manuscripts, stained
glass, clothing, painting and popular culture. Colour is a natural phenomenon, of course, but it is also a complex
cultural construct that resists generalization and, indeed, analysis itself. No doubt this is why serious works
devoted to colour are rare, and rarer still are those that aim to study it in historical context. Many authors search
for the universal or archetypal truths they imagine reside in colour, but for the historian, such truths do not exist.
Colour is first and foremost a social phenomenon. There is no transcultural truth to colour perception, despite
what many books based on poorly grasped neurobiology or – even worse – on pseudoesoteric pop psychology
would have us believe. Such books unfortunately clutter the bibliography on the subject, and even do it harm.

What problem regarding colour does the writer explain in the first paragraph?
A Our view of colour is strongly affected by changing fashion.
B Analysis is complicated by the bewildering number of natural colours.
C Colours can have different associations in different parts of the world.
D Certain popular books have dismissed colour as insignificant
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,155 • Replies: 1
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 05:42 pm
Think about what "transcultural" might mean.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Reading - CAE - explanation of answer
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:45:27