A Comedy of Errors (true story)

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:04 pm
Several months ago, I was assessed by my doctor as having type II diabetes, and we started the long road to getting an appointment with an endrocronologist. This was in August. The earliest appointment we could get was late November. Well, caloo calay, I got a call yesterday to say that my visit was today, nice rhyme, and bumped up a month and a half.

My folks have been concerned, as folks get, so my father offered to take a break from work to drive me down there. I'm on the phone with a client when he buzzes up. I tell him I'll be right down, and rush out the door, forgetting to bring the address, phone number, and name of the doctor. He says "What do you mean you don't know the address??"

I said "Well, I told you yesterday, didn't you write it down?"

"Why would I have written it down, it's your appointment...."

"Give me your cell phone, I'll call the GP and see if they have the info."

The info was not in my file. "Can you call back in half an hour?"

My appointment was in 15 minutes, and my dad couldn't remember his cell phone number.

I had a vague idea of the area, he had a vague memory of the actual address. There are several medical buildings in the neighborhood. We started at one, and he said "Do you recognize any of the names on the list here?"

I looked, and said "No, but I think the clinic is further up the road."

We walked back to the car, with just about ten minutes to spare, and he says "Oh ****."

"What?"

"I think I just locked us out of the car, and it's running. Well, all we can do is try walking to find the damn place."

The building was just a few blocks up the street, and I found the doctor's name on the list there. We made it with just a few minutes to spare. While I was being examined, he called CAA and got into the car, actually without their help, as I had not closed my door properly, and just pulling up the handle released the lock.

Meanwhile, I had a great examination, and the doctor was a fox, dressed in a natty pantsuit with pinstripes. My dad commented afterwards "She's attractive, isn't she?"

We made it. I have to take insulin. It all worked out in the end, and we agreed, for the mutual desire to not have the wrath of my mother, his wife, to rain down on us, that our adventure and conversation never happened. We chose to focus on the positive, but it was darn funny. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 645 • Replies: 17
No top replies

mac11

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:22 pm
Cav! It's a damn miracle you got to the appointment at all! Shocked

I'm glad that it went well, and your diabetes will be under control.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:24 pm
I did mention to my dad how frightening it was that our thought process was so similar.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 05:56 pm
Like father, like son.

Sorry about the diagnosis and treatment--but at least you have a diagnosis and treatment.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:36 pm
Cav - I can't imagine going through all of that with Bear or my Dad. Neither would have the sense of humor you obviously share with your father. Aren't you glad he was with you!!

That would have been a shared scenario with any of the women in my family, though, so I fully understand.

Glad all worked out.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 06:59 pm
Yay that a solution is in place... how you feeling these days?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 04:38 am
sozobe, besides the occasional bout of fatigue, I'm feeling pretty good.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:03 am
I just started the insulin, and these new pens are amazing. The needle looked a little intimidating at first, but honestly, I don't feel a thing when it goes in, it's so fine, with a protective coating. I heard that in the US, there is an experimental insulin spray, similar to an asthma spray gadget, but it hasn't yet been approved in Canada.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:09 am
A funny story, cav. An anxious dad & his anxious son. But you made it - well done! Very Happy
I'm sorry about the diagnosis, but relieved that it's nothing worse. Good luck with the treatment. I hope there's new zing in your step very soon!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:10 am
Thanks msolga, me too. It seems diabetes is a very individual thing, so they'll be monitoring me pretty closely. I'm seeing the dietician tomorrow morning.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:11 am
The pen does sound way cool. Have you noticed it making a difference yet?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:16 am
I only started yesterday, soz, so it will take a bit of time for my system to adjust.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:16 am
Let's hope you don't have to give up your very favourite cav foods!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:18 am
msolga, what I found interesting is that they told me to make sure I take in some carbs with every meal. I always thought that carbs would make me go wonky, but apparently it's because of the possiblity of going hypoglycemic while I adjust to the insulin.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:19 am
Oh just yesterday, OK.

Carbs! Yum! :-)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:21 am
Good! Giving up pasta, rice, potaoes, noodles, etc., would be very hard to do!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:27 am
Also, that Moroccan lentil and chickpea stew I made gallons of would go bad. Smile Yep, I'm glad I don't have to give up carbs.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:29 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A Comedy of Errors (true story)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 04:50:38