The place for milk

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:24 am
@TomTomBinks,
I've been swarmed by cows a few times. Stupidest beasts. Cows are one reason I don't miss country/small-town life.
TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 12:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, they don't care if you beep at them they just stare at you. At least the deer run away.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:19 pm
Cows will put a hurtin' on you....big time.

I knew a migrant farm worker when I lived outside of Okeechobee. She was kicked by a cow, and it shattered the bones in her arm. I mean Shattered. Constant pain for the rest of her life, and the arm was useless.

They are stupid, and that can make them dangerous. They might stand there an blink at you sometimes when you honk a horn at them, or they might go after the car.

Believe me, they can ******* run when they get a mind to. Faster than you can.

Ok, funny story. When I lived there, I learned more than I ever thought I would about the wiley bovine. I didn't know, for instance the mild we buy is a blend of different breeds of cow, because each delivers a different fat content.

This girl, Mandy said to me "oh yeah, those Holsteins are big milk producers. Then ya got your petite Jerseys. Their milk is rich.

I burst out laughing at the idea of a petite cow. But, you know what? When I later saw Holsteins and Jerseys grazing together, those Jerseys were petite girls.

chai2

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:24 pm
@chai2,
Just look at these itty bitty girls.

http://www.progressivedairy.com/images/stories/2015/08/17/1415pd_coffeen_breeds_1.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:25 pm
@ehBeth,
In India, cows are sacred, and they roam the streets freely.
roger

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:29 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

They are stupid, and that can make them dangerous.

Know how you can tell real cowboys from posers?

Cowboys are the only people in the world who think cows are smart.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
They also eat the platic shopping bags, and die of bowel obstruction. They roam the streets eating from garbage dumps.

There's also a black market trade in cows that are slaughtered for leather products. They are herded across the border to be sold for meat.

It's a nice little fable we've been fed that everyone holds them in such esteem.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:42 pm
@chai2,
I'm sure religious beliefs are broken in every country of the world.
chai2

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 08:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes they are. And not everyone is religious. To make a blanket statement that cows are treated as sacred object, implying treated well, is just not true.

I think it's one of those lip service, nice story for the tourists thing.

0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 11:03 pm
@chai2,
I used to raise Jerseys for meat. Just two at a time because of limited space. Even a small cow is pretty big and can hurt you without meaning to. Even by just stepping on your foot! It's a good thing the ground was soft or I may have been in real trouble. They are delightful creatures and can be playful and affectionate. Not too bright though.
chai2

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 01:17 am
@TomTomBinks,
Ah yes, the playful cow.

makes me giggle.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 05:50 pm
I mut be a owboy.caue I am telling you now that cows can be trined. We have a small herd of Red Dexters and Charolais. Charolis cows (qnd steers can go over a ton and a bull has been known to be up to 2 tons. )

We hqve to set up for customers to buy "hares " of our beefsters so we can get em to the butcher or to the auction.
We hve made the red dexters more into pets and that can be q dumass thing to do.
Tom Tom, when we work with the cattle (not th sheep) e all ear steel toed boots and chaps just to keep from unintended injuries due to a cows mass.

Ive dehorned a bull with help once an he tore my bullpen IRON rail fence all to **** with me hanging on. I got busted up pretty good and missed a month of project research I as doing .
Now, if we find that we hqve to dehorn an animal, he gets sent to the auction as a "back to the farm" buy for some lucky bastard who will "finish raise it" for marketing or butchering.
The Dexters are quite gentle and a lot smaller (a full grown steer is under 800 lb and steps very lightly (kinda like they are tap dancing)

TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 10:06 pm
@farmerman,
I guess not completely stupid, at least not in all things. One of my neighbors keeps a pair of trained oxen. He enters them in competitions and wins most of the time. They pull plows and wagons and they obey his every command. Another of my neighbors is a dairy farmer (Amish) and when it's milking time the cows come into the barn on their own without being called and they each go into their own stall. I have no idea how they are trained to do this. My Jerseys were pretty dimwitted, though. And very stubborn. They would ignore good pasture, break through barbed wire fences and climb a steep slope just to stand in the road. Or wander into the swamp and just stand there in two feet of water for hours at a time. I don't know, maybe they very good reasons for doing these things. Cow reasons.
chai2

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 10:06 pm
@farmerman,
I just watched some videos of Dexter cows.

They're adorable.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 10:08 pm
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:

Cow reasons.

Who can really know why cows make the choices they do TomTom?

We can only trust they know what's best.
chai2

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 10:11 pm
@chai2,
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/bf/10/4d/bf104d745b1e34765aeee5ff2ce5775e.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mYvqmtS.jpg

and the ever popular.....

https://landofblogging.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/farsidecows.png
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 11:15 pm
@chai2,
These are things we may never understand.
I love those cartoons!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The place for milk
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 11:15:09