is it possible to create the time dilation effect with technology?

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 01:41 pm
i have read that matter itself bends the space around it, kinda like how our sun warps the space around causing planets to orbit around it...gravity..
i am also aware that black holes have such a dense concentration of mass that the space around it is so warped that time would be slowed...
i have read that the faster you travel, the slower time is for you.
and its my understanding that the faster a object travels, the more mass it has..
so am i correct in thinking that the time dilation you experience while traveling at a high speed is because of the time dilation effect caused from your mass increasing as you move at high speeds?
so the way i see it, the faster you travel= the more mass you have= the more time dilates for you, thus, time travel...in a way...
so my question is this, would it be possible to move a solid piece of matter fast enough to a point where it distorts the space around it enough to have a considerable time dilation effect in the area around it?
to put it blunty, can we spin something like a ball fast enough to use it as a device to slow down the speed of time around the object? thus, time travel from your living room!!kinda....only forward in time i think lol.

by the way, i am well aware that materials can only spin so fast before the Symmetric Forces pulling on the object will tear it apart, so i guess my question is actually " if we find or create a material that can withstand the enormous Symmetric Forces, then would it be possible to warp time by spinning it fast as hell?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 564 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dutchiexxx

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 02:01 pm
i just ran a simulation of this in my mind....even if we have some super tough magic material to use, it seems that there would be a pull to the spinning object, if we wanted to have any major effect on the space around the object then the force that will pull us towards it would be huge, we would need a way to counter that force so we would not die o.0
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 03:03 pm
You should read up about an imagined device called a Tipler machine.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 03:24 pm
Or Tipler cylinder. Tipler imagined an infinitely (or very long) very massive cylinder made of very dense stuff e.g. neutron-star material, rotating so fast that the circumference is rotating at a big fraction of the speed of light. A spaceship orbiting the opposite way to the rotation would travel back in time. However Stephen Hawking says it wouldn't work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipler_cylinder
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 04:27 pm
@dutchiexxx,
I'm the bearer of bad news. The increase in mass is so minute its increase in gravity is even less. We are talking 0.001 grams per million kilos. There are black holes that do have spin. Bind boggling speeds to. Thousands of revolutions per second. Their gravitational wells behave only slightly different from nonsspinning black holes.

There is a way to speed up time. But it's difficult to do. First you have to leave the gravitational influence of the galaxy. Then you need a zero sum velocity relative to space itself. Your frame of time would drastically increase.

I believe our frame of time is different than space time because the galaxy is moving at over 400 kilometers per second. Its crazy how fast the galaxy is moving through space. I'm not even talking about spin.
contrex

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 04:34 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
Then you need a zero sum velocity relative to space itself.

Does this actually mean anything?

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 10:21 am
@dutchiexxx,
Time has no velocity - It is a conceptual/absract measurement.

That is why time-travel is impossible - Time is not physical.

And there are NO constants.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 12:22 pm
@dutchiexxx,
Quote:
so am i correct in thinking that the time dilation you experience while traveling at a high speed is because of the time dilation effect caused from your mass increasing as you move at high speeds?

The other replies on this thread have nothing to do with actual science. If you are asking for a scientific response, you need to understand Frames of Reference. Any answer that does not discuss Frames of Reference is unscientific nonsense.

The short answer is that the phrase "time dilation you experience" doesn't make any sense. Time dilation is what you observe in one frame of reference compared to what someone observes in another frame of reference.

In your own frame of reference, you will never experience time dilation (although people viewing you from another frame of reference will claim you have experienced time dilation).
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » is it possible to create the time dilation effect with technology?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 04:25:37