Guessing the meaning from context

Nat093

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 02:35 pm
I would like to ask you a question. I need to explain the meaning of the word "intrepid" using an example situation. That is, students have to guess the meaning of the word from my story. Can you tell me if you would be able to guess what "intrepid" mean from the following passage? Maybe I should change something?

"My uncle loves travelling around the world. Last year he travelled to South America and lived alone in the Amazon Jungle for two weeks. This year he plans to go to Africa and see wild animals in their natural habitats. My uncle is an intrepid traveler."

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 422 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 02:45 pm
@Nat093,
Nat an old Webster's Collegiate Thesaurus: BRAVE, audacious, bold, courageous, dauntless, fearless, unafraid, undaunted, valiant, valorous

Myself I'd say no, it doesn't hit the nail quite on the head but your last sentence appears to settle the issue so I don't now how to resolve all this

Help all
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 02:53 pm
@Nat093,
Adventurous , yes. But not intrepid.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:05 pm
If you want to explain the meaning of a word from an example situation you need to make the situation simple, so that there is no doubt about the meaning of the word. Intrepid means brave or courageous, so you want a situation where someone acted bravely, without regard for their own safety. Rescuing a drowning person from the sea when sharks are around, or from a burning building about to collapse, perhaps.
Nat093

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:14 pm
Thank you very much for your help.
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:37 pm
@contrex,
What about the phrasal verb "let sb down". Would it be right to provide such an example situation?
"It was my birthday yesterday. Dad promised to come and take me to the ZOO. I waited for him all day but he didn’t come. He really let me down."
contrex

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:53 pm
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:
"It was my birthday yesterday. Dad promised to come and take me to the ZOO. I waited for him all day but he didn’t come. He really let me down."

That is a good example.

Nat093

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:57 pm
@contrex,
Can I use "really" before "let sb down"? Is it OK?
contrex

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 04:38 pm
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:

Can I use "really" before "let sb down"? Is it OK?

Yes. "Really" used that way acts as an intensifier. You would use it if you felt very let down.

Nat093

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 04:57 pm
@contrex,
Thank you for your help!
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 03:23 am
@contrex,
Can I ask you just one more question?
If I ask students "Have your friends ever let you down?" and they say "Yes", then should I ask: "How did they let you down?", "In what ways did they let you down?", or maybe "How did it happen?" ? How should I formulate my question?
contrex

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 03:57 am
@Nat093,
Quote:
"How did they let you down?" "In what ways did they let you down?" -
"How did it happen?" ?

These are all equally good. Native speakers might well just say "Tell me about it" or even just "How?"
Nat093

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 04:41 am
@contrex,
OK thank you Smile
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Guessing the meaning from context
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 04:14:47