The Shadow of Your Smile?

Letty

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 01:17 pm
Jazz Day is January 30 and Groundhog Day is Comin' up, soooooo, I thought I would combine the two.

"The Shadow of Your Smile" is a beautiful ballad from the movie, "Sandpiper" but we don't want that little groundhog critter to see his shadow. Do we?

Music and Mayhem and Memorable Events. You got any?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,495 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 02:45 pm
I love The Shadow of Your Smile and Big Sur ,where I wish I could be right now. I hope Ole Punxatawney Phil is staying comfy cozy (which I'm doing right now), after three weeks of inhibiting snow and ice, and that he has good news for us on Groundhog Day.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 03:26 pm
hmmmm. Somebody's "California Dreamin'" Smile
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 05:40 pm
Yep. Laughing I've got my hush puppies on
I guess I never was meant for glitter rock and roll
But Come Monday It'll be all right .................
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 06:39 pm
and I got on my penny loafers... Very Happy
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 08:24 pm
Pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop
Pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop-pop
Penny loafers and bobby socks
She's sweet sixteen and she's really tops
She's got that crazy rhythm and she never stops
She wears penny loafers and bobby socks.

Well, I got a girl, she used to be a square
She thought that Toscanini was a-everywhere
She said that Beethoven was the top of the pop
Till she heard the news about roll and rock.

Sorry Letty, I just couldn't resist. Oh, one more line:

Everything is changin',now she likes to flirt
She wears blue jeans and a sloppy shirt
She's got big blue eyes, that light up like a fuse
She's gone when she hears those rhythm and blues.

No, more,I promise. Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:14 pm
More...More...bravo... Laughing

Raggedy, Our group played some proms. Believe that? (desperate times call for desperate measures).

One young man came in with black tux and tie, and white bucks and socks. Our drummer observed, " My God. I thought that kid had both feet in casts, and I was thinkin' how brave he is." Razz
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 10:52 pm
Today I was out shopping for cheesy closthes to wear in Florida and all the big store had the prom dress out. And I saw a couple of young men looking at the store where you rent tuxedos.

A WHITE SPORT COAT
Marty Robbins

A white sports coat and a pink carnation
I'm all dressed up for the dance
I'm all alone in romance

Once you told me long ago
To the prom with me you'd go
Now you've changed your mind it seems
Someone else will hold my dreams

I'm in a blue blue mood.

I'm all dressed up for the dance
I'm all alone in romance

Once you told me long ago
To the prom with me you'd go
Now you've changed your mind it seems
Someone else will hold my dreams

I'm in a blue blue mood.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 04:42 am
Good Grief, Joanne. I had no idea Marty Robbins wrote that song. He should have stuck to wearin' big irons on his hip. :wink:

It seems to me that today is also Franklin Delano Roosevelt's birthday.

Happy Days are here again,
The sky above is blue again.
Let us sing a song of cheer again.
Happy Days are here again.

Not exactly Jazz, but in keeping with the theme.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 06:59 pm
Letty: I just read your thread about FDR's birthday, and am now recalling a song written as a tribute to Roosevelt and performed beautifully in the Broadway musical, Call Me Mister. (It was omitted from the movie which was a bomb). I can't get all the words together except for:

Jefferson's on the nickel,
Washington's on the quarter
And they sure both 'orter' be there.
Lincoln is on the penny
Because he thought of the many,
And I believe that is only fair.

So I've got my picture gallery
Of great men right here with me
Most of the time
On a cent, a nickel, a quarter and
Now a dime.
Just a face on a dime, on a shiny new dime
He's not long in the past
But his name sure will last
Down through time, down through time.

(Melvyn Douglas produced the show and shortly after was called before the McCarthy hearings. That was the end of Call Me Mister. A sad time. ) When the show toured in my city, all of the performers were newcomers, among them Bob Fossee, Buddy Hackett, Betty Garrett, Jules Munshin, to name a few. I believe the man who sang Face on A Dime was Lavern Hutcherson, the man who dubbed Harry Belafonte's voice in Carmen Jones. I still have the program and the 10# LP of that show, but can't get my hands on it right now. It was a series of sketches about WW II soldiers returning from the war. Superb choreography, lots of humor and some great melodies. The movie version in 1951 bore no resemblance to the B-Way revue except for Dan Dailey performing "Call Me Mister" and an unbilled Bobby Short singing "Going Home Train".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 07:42 pm
Jazz Day? that's cool.

Toronto recently hosted a conference of North American jazz educators. It was a great week to be in the city. Free performances everywhere you turned downtown. It was wonnnnnnnnnnnderful.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 07:46 pm
Oh, Joanne, don't do that. I was totally pulling Rae's leg about the luau shirt, the beer can hat, and the shorts with flip flops on the feet.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 07:47 pm
Raggedy, Larry Parks' star was rising.What the hell happened? I am not familiar with the song of which you speak, but I taught about the McCarthy hearings, trying to help my students understand about the lengths that a person will go to achieve notoriety. Yes, I said notoriety and not fame. Arthur Miller tried to alert America with "The Crucible". Nathaniel Hawethorne, so much earlier with "The Scarlet Letter". and then , McCarthy made a grave mistake. His meglomania took him into the world of the military....end of story. What ghosts lie beneath those hoary errors?

Wow, I just got carried away, I think.There was a poll on A2K about women in politics and another on Abuzz about disdain for the observance of Groundhog Day.(fanning myself and cooling down and back to my little home by the sea) Very Happy
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 12:14 am
Look into my eyes, my love,
And see, all the lovely things you are to me.
A wistful little star climbed up the sky.
A teardrop kissed your lips, and so did I!

Now, when I remember Spring,
And the joys that love can bring,
I will be remembering
The shadow of your smile.

Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 12:44 am
Roger you got have some flip flops so can blow them out when you step on a pop cause you will be a cheese burger in paradise.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 09:02 am
WilliamHenry,

Beautiful lyrics and fantastic melody. Those tiny little sandpipers are so fast, that the waves can't even catch 'em. Smile

Hey, Rog,
Mahi Mahi (really a dolphin fish) and leis. That's what makes a luau.

ehBeth, I'm glad to know that someone likes Jazz in Canada, home to the great Oscar Peterson, one of the most fantastic piano players you'll ever hear.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 09:48 am
You have "Jazz Day" in the U.S.??
"Jazz Day"???
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 09:50 am
Letty: So it wasn't enough to make me yearn for California, now you have to bring up Hawaii <sigh>. Well, anyway, maybe Phil will have some good news tomorrow.

WilliamHenry: Thanks for the beautiful lyrics. I can't get that song out of my mind since Letty started this thread.

Letty: Larry Parks admitted to past Membership in the Communist Party before the HUAC, and although he was never officially blacklisted, Columbia terminated his contract and other studios shunned him. He returned to the screen only twice in character roles and appeared infrequently on TV with his wife, Betty Garrett. Parks died in 1975 at age 61.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 09:52 am
And as this is the Shadow Of Your Smile thread,I too love that song.It´s been recorded by so many artists.
Lots of jazz musicians have recorded it but it usually ends up being Bossa Nova-ed to death.Hear Lou Donaldsons version and you´ll cringe.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:05 am
Hebba: I know what you mean. I've heard some of them. I now have three recordings of it - Andy Williams (which I don't care for), John Gary (good) and the soundtrack of the movie, which wasn't out when I bought the other two. Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Shadow of Your Smile?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 02:04:23