car buffs and mechanics please help

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 08:23 pm
So my family has a 2001 Montero Sport that's recently suffered from an old battery, alternator and a leaking gasket. A friend of mine told me it would be about $1000 for a proper fix, but knowing how some mechanics can gut you dry for that extra dollar, I wanted to ask how true that was so I have a better understanding of my spenditures before seeing a mechanic.

Odd question here, but everyone has been super helpful on this site so far. Thanks again in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,188 • Replies: 1
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 09:52 pm
@johne sapien,
It's really going to depend on which gasket you are talking about and what the mechanic has to do to get to each issue. On my '03 Focus, I am certain I will need a professional mechanic just to take things apart to replace a headlight. I've no idea what your Montero looks like under the hood, but any of those items could be a very big deal. Comparison shopping would be a good idea.

You might even ask the resale value of your vehicle. Realistically, some just aren't worth the cost of repair.
0 Replies