Songs with cultural value

Nat093

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 11:29 am
I am preparing a presentation about teaching through songs. I have read in books that one advantages of using songs in language teaching is that they help students expand their cultural knowledge. In what ways can this happen? could you give me an example please?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 342 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 12:22 pm
@Nat093,
Learn about the 60s right here:
contrex

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 02:06 pm
When my wife was doing a French course we started listening to French pop and rock and became really big fans of the Goth-rock band Indochine. Even flew to Nice for one of their concerts in 2006. When she did a Spanish module we came to like Amaral, las Punsetas, and Russian Red (the singer Lourdes Hernández). It opens you up to stuff. Anything can have 'cultural value', even trashy pop stuff.

0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 02:38 pm
@jespah,
Thank you for reminding me of that song. I did not know that McLean refers to the plane crash on Febrauary 3 1959.
The song reflects the mood of the early 1960s in America?
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 02:45 pm
Could you please give me some examples of songs connected with important events in America?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 02:51 pm
@Nat093,
Gordon Lightfoot - Black Day in July

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Detroit_riot

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/gordon-lightfoot-s-black-day-in-july-about-detroit-riots-inspires-new-art-1.2980754

Quote:
The incident was ignited by a police raid of an unlicensed, after-hours bar. Clashes ensued between residents of largely black neighbourhoods and police, and members of the state police and National Guard were brought in as the protests and violence escalated. The riots lasted five days, leaving 43 dead. Hundreds were injured and thousands arrested, with businesses left looted and burned.

"Black Day in July" was released in 1968. Lightfoot's lyrics described "Motor City madness" and the chaos that followed proved to be too incendiary for some at the time, with a number of American radio stations banning the track.

"Gordon Lightfoot really is a role model to artists because he had the courage to sing or write about something that other people wouldn't even want to talk about," said Schmalz.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 06:21 am
What about this? A lot of people really don't understand what real skinheads are, a fusion of black and white, British and Jamaican, one of the first anti racist movements in fact.

Nat093

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:56 am
@izzythepush,
Thank you for that!
izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 03:10 am
@Nat093,
Trojan was the record label which most ska/skinhead music was first released. If you google "skinhead Trojan" you should find a lot of stuff, not just tracks but history, culture etc.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Songs with cultural value
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 10:57:23