Probability question

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 07:53 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

Also joe you initially claimed it was an occurance problem. Meaning they essentially toss the purchased icecream back into the bin and randomly pull. Which in this case probability would remain the same after each purchase. I said the pribability would increase after each purchase and said I was wrong yet turn around and point out an increase probability.

You're in a hole, yet you keep trying to dig your way out.

The probability for each purchase remains constant at 1/50, but then the question wasn't about the odds for each individual purchase but rather the odds over a series of purchases.

And, by the way, you just confirmed that you thought this was a choose-and-replace type of situation. That's still incorrect. You're not very good at this, are you?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 07:54 pm
@dharjai,
dharjai wrote:

Though I am not sure whether this answer is correct or not.

Ask your teacher.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 08:10 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Krumple wrote:
I said the probability for finding the star would go up after every purchase and you said incorrect.

Here's what you wrote:
Quote:
Since you say every 50th has a star the average drops due to the incease in odds of obtaining the star stick after each consecutive purchase.

Clearly, you meant that the odds increase because the number of remaining choices decreases, as earlier in the same post you wrote:
Quote:
However if its random then you have 1 in 50 chance for the first purchase with a reduction by one each additional purchase.

(emphasis mine) In other words, there was a 1/50 chance for the first purchase, a 1/49 chance for the second, and so on. That, however, is not the situation in the problem posed in the original post, where the chance is always 1/50 for each purchase, which is why I noted that you were incorrect.

I never said it was 1/50 each perchase. Because its not unless you give the bar back or its a random pull from 50 each purchase.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 10:26 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

I never said it was 1/50 each perchase.

I know. That's why you're wrong.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 08:22:09