Wedding Symbolism: Bare Shouldered Brides

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:21 am
Love it
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:39 am
Linkat wrote:
Jespah -...A little off the subject - Taking about mixed messages and inappropriate clothes entering a church. I went to Italy with a girlfriend of mine. The day we were going to visit the Sistine Chapel, I was dressed in a skirt and sleeveless shirt and my friend had on ripped jeans and a concert T-shirt. Yes, we were an odd pair, but we have been since being some children. Anyhow, I was stopped and not let in because my shoulders were bare. Once I put on a jean jacket, they let me in. I understand the no shoulder thing, but really, I was dressed nicely with a conservative no sleeve shirt (it was damn hot that day) and my friend was dressed like a slob (no disrespect as I love her dearly). Does that make sense?

I think the answer to the Sistine Chapel thing is, as we say here, people are wicked bizaah. E. g. there was no rhyme or reason there.

I'm sure you looked beautiful - do you have a scanned photo you can upload? Would love to see. :-D
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:45 am
jespah wrote:

I think the answer to the Sistine Chapel thing is, as we say here, people are wicked bizaah. E. g. there was no rhyme or reason there.

To enter some temples/churches of some religions you must wear huts, take of your shoes ... or be dressed in properly.

The only persons I've heard of to be not allowed to churches (both Catholic/Protestant) here in Germany were US-Americans (although no-one would bother about bare shoulders).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:57 am
That's sweet of you jespah - no I don't unfortunately, but it was a very delicate looking dress. The funny thing too was that across the street facing the church was a very risqué billboard. I just thought it was rather silly, but I respect whatever the culture is no matter how bizaah.
who has not been in the Sistine Chapel, it is certainly worth the visit - absolutely beautiful.
By the way for anyone
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:19 am
Linkat wrote:

who has not been in the Sistine Chapel, it is certainly worth the visit - absolutely beautiful.

Those, who can't, can make a virtual tour through it, following a link in A2K's Portal HERE
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:18 pm
Something old, something new,
Something borrowed, something blue
And a sixpence in her shoe.

Happy is the bride that the sun shines on
And blessed is the corpse that the rain falls on.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:19 pm
Some things stay ever relevant Noddy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:24 pm
panzade--

Ireland is full of blessed corpses, if not happy brides. The rain it raineth every day (or it seemeth to).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:35 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

The only persons I've heard of to be not allowed to churches (both Catholic/Protestant) here in Germany were US-Americans (although no-one would bother about bare shoulders).

What the heck?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 12:26:15