A Graduate of Life

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 01:24 pm
Hi Everyone,

Could you please tell me if my English sentence is correct/makes sense within the context? This is from the first page of an author introducing herself in the preface of her book. This is the very first sentence of her introduction.

My attempt: Teacher by profession.......a graduate of life, single mother of two children.
Thank you so much.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 472 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 01:48 pm
@susieq86,
It looks just fine. What is your concern about it?
0 Replies

susieq86

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 02:22 pm
Hi! Thanks for responding. I just want to make sure that "a graduate of life" makes sense and that my punctuation is correct with the ellipsis marks.
Krumple

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 03:07 pm
@susieq86,
susieq86 wrote:

Hi! Thanks for responding. I just want to make sure that "a graduate of life" makes sense and that my punctuation is correct with the ellipsis marks.

Its fine, although a bit bold of a statement but its colorful expression. I assume it means the person has gone through a lot and has learned and developed a lot. But you cant really litterally be a graduate of life because you never stop learning so life is teaching you all the way up to death. Although you can still be a dropout failure from the school of hardknox.
contrex

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 03:39 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
But you cant really litterally be a graduate of life because you never stop learning so life is teaching you all the way up to death.

Exactly. This was my thought too. "Graduation" from "life" takes place when you die.
Krumple

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 03:42 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Krumple wrote:
But you cant really litterally be a graduate of life because you never stop learning so life is teaching you all the way up to death.

Exactly. This was my thought too. "Graduation" from "life" takes place when you die.

I think the point then becomes they are older and wiser, theres not a whole lot more life can teach them so they have graduated.
susieq86

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 03:51 pm
Thanks everybody! You're awesome!
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 04:15 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
I think the point then becomes they are older and wiser, theres not a whole lot more life can teach them so they have graduated.

Oh I see. In Britain we would say a "graduate of the university of life".
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 04:24 pm
Yar, I would hardly say that because one is a single mother you're eligible to be called a graduate of life.

Takes a lot more than that.
Krumple

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 05:21 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Yar, I would hardly say that because one is a single mother you're eligible to be called a graduate of life.

Takes a lot more than that.

https://youtu.be/QoJrMaFlxOk
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A Graduate of Life
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 10:36:20