Gone But Not Forgotten

nacredambition

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 01:29 am
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 01:38 am
In 1967, I travelled with my "guest parents" from Dorset to Scotland. We stayed over the weekend close to Manchester at his former squadron leader's mansion.
It was that squadron, which bombed my grandfather's home (the bombs killed great-grantmother, grandmother, aunt, her newborn baby and the nanny).
I have been friend with the son of a navigator (that's where we went in Scotland) for decades, he often stayed here in parents home, too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 08:45 am
@Setanta,
Thanks for starting the thread.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 09:12 am
I am glad that America has turned the corner on how we think about veterans. Whether we agree with our leaders decisions or not, the men who followed what they were duty bound to, deserve our respect.

When I returned from Vietnam, the reaction of most was like I had contracted a STD at best or deserved to be spit on at worst.

So glad that time appears to be past.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2016 11:56 am
@Leadfoot,
Vietnam was probably the most unpopular war, and many moved to Canada. What I found interesting was how the people of that country treated us Americans with friendliness who visited their country. It may have been that many were too young to know about the war. The War Rememberance Museum in Saigon is very well done. Two Japanese photographers took most of the pictures at that museum, and one of the most famous, the naked girl running away from the bombing is there.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 03:02:07