Insulate water timer

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 11:18 am
Composing a warning letter for our local Victorville Daily Press concerning the upcoming first freeze, I'm wondering if you happen to know the proper name of the fuzzy 2-3-in. wrap--usu orangish or yellowish-- used to insulate pipes and the like:

Noting prediction Nov. 1 in “Study blames…high temperatures,” that “…years like this may become commonplace…,” and noting tomorrow’s low at Sports Page, still I’m remembering my Letter of some time ago suggesting wrapping your timers for the winter.

I had supposed many of us, esp with large properties, might have reacted to the drought requirement of nighttime watering—that might otherwise need us to get up in the middle of the night--by acquiring battery timers. However, here in the winter where freezing occurs around midnight set, we might still have to repeatedly arise to set, check, or disconnect ‘em.

So, furious at Authority for this dumb ruling, I had suggested in my letter instead to wrap... encouraging... those of us willing to adopt my expedient...

So thanks to anyone who should happen to remember the term for such wrap
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 398 • Replies: 6
No top replies

nacredambition

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2016 10:34 pm
@dalehileman,
Summer watering restrictions don't apply in Victorville at this time of year. From October to May watering is permitted only between 9am and 3pm.

http://www.victorvilleca.gov/waterconservation/

Given that the temperature drops below zero in Victorville only during winter when you aren't permitted to water at night, think of all the money you'll save by not buying insulating tape.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2016 10:51 pm
@nacredambition,
listining
Sturgis

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 08:21 am
@dalehileman,
I believe it's known as pipe or piping insulation. Two forms commonly used are fiberglass and mineral wool. Your local hardware store should be able to help you out on this.

More uses for pipe insulation:
For the people with window unit air conditioners where the original cheap plastic accordion side panels have gone bad (or if you want to stay warmer in winter and cooler in the summer), cut a piece of cardboard or a piece of sheetrock to size and wrap with piping insulation, then wrap that with plastic wrap, seal tightly with duct tape or clear weatherproofing tape, set into the spot on each side of the a.c. then use clear weatherproofing tape to keep it securely in place. Dress it up with paint if you want.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:18 am
@nacredambition,
Nacre thank you most kindly for that link, that accordingly hastened me to rewrite that Letter to the Edit. I'll be first to concede laziness that discouraged me from Googling
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:19 am
@ossobucotemp,
https://www.google.com/?client=safari&channel=mac_bm#channel=mac_bm&q=define+listining
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:33 am
@Sturgis,
Thank you Stur most kindly. Hence revised Letter to Victorville Daily Press:

Noting prediction Nov. 1 in “Study blames…high temperatures,” that “…years like this may become commonplace…,” and noting coming lows at Sports Page, still I’m remembering my Letter of some time ago suggesting wrapping your timers for the winter. Fortunately, winter drought regulations let you water in the daytime when it’s rarely freezing (except if for some reason you should choose the also allowed 10-12 PM).

http://www.victorvilleca.gov/waterconservation/

Still I had supposed some of us, esp with large properties, might have objected to the summer drought requirement of nighttime watering when we’d have to reset all our timers (a dozen myself).)—that might otherwise need us to get up in the middle of the night--by acquiring battery timers. However, here in the winter where freezing occurs almost always at night, we might still have to occasionally arise to set, check, or disconnect ‘em. However, this is complicated by the requirement to water only on certain “days” of the week, to which the typical timer isn’t programmed.

So, furious at Authority for those rulings of official-dumb, I had suggested in my Letter instead using fiberglass insulation wrap called “batt” or “blanket". So the prediction can only encourage those of us willing to adopt my expedient. Any additional ideas welcomed.

Dale Hileman
Apple Valley
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Insulate water timer
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 07:23:56