Is water wet?

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 03:16 pm
I'm arguing with someone who refuses to believe that water technically isn't wet and he said "ask a scientist" so here I am (assuming this question reaches a scientist)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 445 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 03:24 pm
@mbradshaw357,
mbradshaw357 wrote:

I'm arguing with someone who refuses to believe that water technically isn't wet and he said "ask a scientist" so here I am (assuming this question reaches a scientist)

The problem is how our body sense sensations. "Wetness" isnt a property of chemistry unless you start talking about the combination of hydrogen and oxygen together.

So technically you are right. However our experience of how water molecules behave gives rise to the experience of "wetness".

If you had a puddle of mercury in your hand it would take a bit longer to soak into your skin but you dont feel "wetness". On a side note dont test this without knowing mecury can soak into your skin and it is toxic.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 03:36 pm
Wetness is a quality given to something by a liquid, not a property of the liquid itself.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 04:41 pm
Do you mean "does water feel wet"?
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 06:18 am
@mbradshaw357,
The water is "wet" with skin not without it.
On the other hand water indeed has sticking properties. That of course is not enough to say its "wet".
By the way, you were targeting the wrong crowd by asking a scientist. Only a Philosopher is actually qualified to answer it...
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 03:39 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Why is water wet? - Planet Science
www.planet-science.com › Under 11s › Our world
Wetness is our description of what we feel when we put our hand in water. Saying water is wet is like saying that wood is hard or fire is hot. Sensory receptors on our hand send information about the water to our brain. ... A combination of temperature, pressure and the way water moves tells our brain that water is wet.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is water wet?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 10:40:45