What's on the ballot in your state?

Baldimo

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 04:24 pm
Colorado has an interesting ballot this year. We have 22 candidates for President on the ballot as well as various ballot issues.

The top issues in Colorado this year are Min wage, creating an open primary system, universal healthcare, changing ballot initiative process, right to die, and raising the taxes on cigarettes. There are few more but those are the largest issues state wide.

Amendment 69: ColoradoCare: Universal Health Care coverage for everyone. I'm going to be voting no on this one. My income tax will go up to a higher rate than what I pay each year for my employer health insurance.

Amendment 70: Minimum Wage: Raising the min wage to$12.00 hr by 2020. I'm voting yes on this one. I see it as a compromise between the $10 I would offer and the $15 that the unions want. Seems fair.

Amendment 71: Constitutional changes: This will change how we add amendments to the state Constitution. I'm still undecided on this one. Currently this law allows something onto the ballot if enough signatures are collected. The change would force groups to get signatures from at least 2% of the population for each voting district instead of maybe getting the signatures from only 3 counties in CO.

Amendment 72: Cigarette taxes: Raise the tax on cigarettes from .84 cents to $2.59. I will be voting against this one based on how they plan to spend the money. I prefer my tax increases actually go to something they are taxing, not an unrelated issue.

Proposition 106: Aid-in-dying: Oregon style law for people who have less than 6 months left to live due to fatal disease. I will be voting for this one. No one should have to suffer a painful death if they choose to end their own life.

Proposition 107: Presidential primaries: Moving from a caucus system to a more normal Primary system. I'm voting for this one.

Proposition 108: Unaffiliated voters: This allows unaffiliated voters vote in any primary. I'm voting for this one.

Amendment T: Slavery reference: Removing slavery from mention in the CO Constitution. I'm voting for this one. CO was not pro-slave, in fact the text reads as follows:
“There shall never be in this state either slavery or involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime.”

So what are some of the ballot issues in your state and how will you be voting for them?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 353 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 10:02 pm
I'm voting against a 3 point tax increase on those with incomes above $200,000, because the marginal rate is already 8%.

I'm voting against legalizing Marijuana, because my Democratic state AG said the particular proposal went too far.

I'm voting for an increase in the minimum wage similar to Colorado's.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 10:16 pm
@Baldimo,
Massachusetts has four questions

1) Is another slot parlour license. I don't really care either way, so I will probably abstain.

2) Is authorization for more charter schools. I will vote no.

3) Is a law to prevent selling of food with animals not raised with big enough cages. I will vote no (even though my preteen daughter is lobbying me to vote yes).

4) Legalizes recreational marijuana. I have mixed feelings on this, but will likely vote yes.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 02:48 am
@Baldimo,
Nice topic! I'm not in the US, but reading about the elections I did come across this song that was especially written to help Californians remember all the ballot initiatives in that state:

https://youtu.be/yizO7L2J7LU
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 07:59 am
We have 5 ballot initiatives in Mass:
  1. To allow the Gaming Commission to issue an additional slots license (I will vote no)
  2. To authorize the approval of up to 12 new charter schools or enrollment expansions in existing charter schools by the state Board of Elementary and Secondary Education per year (I will vote no)
  3. To prohibit certain methods of farm animal containment (I will vote yes)
  4. To legalise marijuana (I will vote yes)
  5. And there's a fifth one just for the city of Boston, to set aside a funding source for $$ to meet affordable housing needs and preserve parks and historical sites (I will vote yes)

This is a great question - thanks for asking it (and a reminder to anyone who's not interested in voting for any of the top-tier candidates - these ballot initiatives could use your support or no vote).
maxdancona

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 08:01 am
@jespah,
Do you want to share your votes Jespah? Are we going to get legal weed?
jespah

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 08:03 am
@maxdancona,
I edited as you were asking - thanks for the reminder.

And yes, we'll get legal weed.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2016 11:42 am
@maxdancona,
I'm hoping that with additional states moving towards legalization, that my state will finally catch a break on people moving here. Housing and rent costs have gone through the roof the last 3 years and I'm really want those to go down.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What's on the ballot in your state?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:13:02