What if all religions are correct, but there is no god?

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 12:13 pm
This is a response to the thread, ""What if no religions are correct,but there still is a God?"

This is not an absurd question; but the answer stretches, even transcends the intellect. I'm curious if anyone will respond; maybe a few mystics and pantheists.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 608 • Replies: 23
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 12:25 pm
@coluber2001,
Uber, yea I'm that very apodictical existential pantheist. We see the Universe and all its activities and God as a sort of permanent unit
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 12:25 pm
There are elements of correctness in all or most religions. That's part of the hold they have on the people. They see part X being correct and assume the rest is also correct. There is a sort of mob intellect that guides most of them. But if X and the rest by fiat is correct, they accept that a god must be real.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 01:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
they accept that a god must be real
Ed it's pertinent to note that "reality" of the pantheists' God might or might not qualify depending on their various defs
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 03:35 pm
@dalehileman,
Are they called pantheists because they don't wear pants?
Sturgis

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 04:02 pm
@coluber2001,
There darn well better be a God of some sort or else they've been singing hymns and praying for nothing.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 04:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
because they don't wear pants?
No Ed, it's because they're panting in the enthusiasm for their position
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 04:07 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
better be a God
Yea Stur by Gosh
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 04:39 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm using the term "god" to mean a personal god with on objective reality. For the subjective experiece, I prefer other terms, such as the divine or the sublime, et al.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 04:41 pm
@dalehileman,
I don't know what this term means. Can you explain?
coluber2001

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 04:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Something like that. lol But it usually means the perception of the divine as everything, that is, the individual's subjective experience perceives the universe as divine orf sublime, at least sometimes.

That's very different from animism which believes that all objects alive or dead have objective spirits in them.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 05:25 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
this term means
Forgive me Col but what term
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2016 08:06 pm
@dalehileman,
"apodictical existential pantheist."
dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 11:33 am
@coluber2001,
Col thank you for asking. The first two terms I had added simply to make the third sound more prodigious and also to stimulate q's such as yours, but as it turns out they seem providential since one meaning of "apodictical" is simple, apparent, and obvious; while "existential" means overly ephemeral or equivocal

Thanks Uber for your interest
coluber2001

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 12:41 pm
@dalehileman,
Ah! Kind of an ornate zen. I like it!
dalehileman

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2016 01:04 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
I like it!
Agin thank you most heartedly Col

Some hate me for it
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 12:52 pm
The idea that the divine is subjective, therefore pantheistic, and not objective reminds me of an annecdote about a king.

Whenever the king decided to go for a walk, his assistants would have to run ahead of him to spread animal skins on the ground so he wouldn't get sore feet. Then one day one of his men formed an animal skin to fit the king's feet so he could go everywhere without sore feet.

If th divine is an objective reality, then it is separate from the universe and supernatural. If it's subjective, then everything becomes divine to the viewer. So, religious belief becomes irrelevant and experience becomes religious.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 01:07 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
If the divine is an objective reality, then it is separate from the universe and supernatural....So, religious belief becomes irrelevant and experience becomes religious.
Disdagree Col but thanks just the same, you're very thoughtful

Trouble is, we simply don't have the language to express a notion of some of us pantheists. First of all, "objective reality," could have dozens of meanings; while rereject the idea that She's supernatural

Quote:
So, religious belief becomes irrelevant
In a sense, yes, assuming of course a typical overview. However we maintain that with improvements in logic and indeed in the language it will become apparent that coexistence will be a matter of choice and def

Quote:
So, religious belief becomes irrelevant and experience becomes religious
Yes Uber, indeed, in a way. Our contentions might even prove worthy of being called "religious"

Yes yours included
coluber2001

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 04:50 pm
With Darwin's evolution theory it was no longer necessary to have a supernatural to explain life on Earth. Thus, the beginning of the end of patriarchal religions. The supernatural was a patriarchal invention; the matriarchal religions had no need for a supernatural; nature was everything, was the mother.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2016 11:20 am
@dalehileman,
Here's the problem with second-hand religion:
Heinrich Robert Zimmer
“Via Joseph Campbell: My friend Heinrich Zimmer of years ago used to say, "The best things can't be told," because they transcend thought. "The second best are misunderstood," because those are the thoughts that are supposed to refer to that which can't be thought about, and one gets stuck in the thoughts."The third best are what we talk about.

Sombody has a religious experience and tries to explain it to another person. You can only relate religious experience in metaphor. It's like poetry; if you try to interpret it literally it misses the point totally. "My heart is an eagle soaring above the clouds." Literally, it's nonsense. The virgin birth. Literally, it's nonsense. You have to get beyond the metaphor or you crash into science. That's what happened to the mass religions: they didn't keep up with science, and now they've built wall against it. They've fought science, and the young people have to choose between science or religion. Guess what? They dump religion and spend their lives either searching for it or avoiding it.

1. Forums
  2. » What if all religions are correct, but there is no god?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 11:30:06