This question is about science/physics/biology

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 07:22 pm
Hello.

I want to know what the difference between the density of a human skull and wood is. If they were to be impacted with the same amount of force which would be more resistant?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 732 • Replies: 21
No top replies

chai2

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 08:33 pm
@mutantroach,
What type of wood?

There's a big difference between balsa and mahogany.

But then, why would you have not known that?

0 Replies

Candlelight8

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 10:27 pm
@mutantroach,
Just try head-butting a tree and see if that answers the question.
Candlelight8
0 Replies

mutantroach

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 01:56 am
I saw this youtube video that says human bones are stronger than steel and it's got me wondering where the density of a human skull lies! Like in a list like wood, regular red brick, stone, concrete, iron, steel where would the skull fall for resistance and toughness.
roger

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 01:59 am
@mutantroach,
Stronger than might, just possibly mean stronger per unit of weight. Believe me, more bones have been shattered by steel than steel has been shattered by bone. You do know that bone can be carved by steel tools, right?
0 Replies

mutantroach

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 04:22 am
but theres claims that bones are x5 stronger than steel!!! And I'm just curious now! Where do bones stand in a list like wood, red bricks, stones, concrete, iron, steel???
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 09:37 am
@mutantroach,
mutantroach wrote:

but theres claims that bones are x5 stronger than steel!!! And I'm just curious now! Where do bones stand in a list like wood, red bricks, stones, concrete, iron, steel???

Well hey, if it's on the internet it's got to be true. Just ask McG.
0 Replies

mutantroach

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 11:31 am
common there has to be a scientific way to place them in the list hierarchically... if theres anyone who knows the answer can actually answer
timur

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 11:47 am
@mutantroach,
Steel is indeed stronger than any bone (remember, stones and sticks can break them..).

If you want a strength qualification, type "ultimate tensile strength" on Wikipedia.

There you can see that lots of materials are stronger than bones.
0 Replies

mutantroach

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 08:54 pm
The charts are incomplete. For wood it just says wood (pine) ultimate tensile strength 40 while bones is 130. So bones are stronger than wood?
roger

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 09:14 pm
@mutantroach,
Again, as Chai asked "What kind of wood?" If your treats all wood as the same strength, it is clearly out to lunch.

You go ahead and believe whatever makes you feel good. Share with others if that makes you feel even better.

0 Replies

mutantroach

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 01:58 am
Okay, which material has the exact same density as a human skull. Any type of wood, ceramic, plastics etc.
In general can't you just say weather if wood is stronger, lighter or same or whatever else than bones?
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 02:59 am
Your question is not precise enough insofar as forces applied to bones can be of different kinds (torsion, compression, traction..)

In some cases, wood is stronger than bone, and in others don't, so we cannot define a "general" rule.

I tend to think that wood is stronger than bones.

Think about hitting violently your skull with a baseball bat...
roger

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 03:02 am
@timur,
Huh? I do that lots of times. Threads like this are the usual inspiration.
timur

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 03:04 am
@roger,
Why am I not surprised?
chai2

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 11:43 am
@timur,
What about morning wood?
timur

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 11:57 am
@chai2,
Sometimes it's a boner, sometimes it hits the spot..
chai2

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 02:09 pm
@timur,
If it's a boner, wouldn't it be equally hard as the skull (in theory at least)?
Krumple

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 02:18 pm
@mutantroach,
mutantroach wrote:

Hello.

I want to know what the difference between the density of a human skull and wood is. If they were to be impacted with the same amount of force which would be more resistant?

There is a video on youtube where they reinvestigated the jon bonay ramsey case.

One theory was the older brother hit her in the head with a flashlight.

They showed photos of the skull fracture and used wood and the flash light to demonstrate that they matched. Then used a skull and pig skin and a young boy to see if it were possible for a young boy to generate the power to cause the same sort of fracture.

The results showed it was possible.

So they did use wood in the first test to see the similar fracture shape. But I dont think denscity was what they were after.

Why this question anyways are you thinking of building a fence or something out of bone?
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2016 02:18 pm
@chai2,
The inferences of your question are endless..

I'll think about that while I skull a beer..
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » This question is about science/physics/biology
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:29:02