Proposition in on at

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 05:20 am
Hi!

Can anyone please tell me if the following phrase is correct? I have some doubts on the “on” and “in”:

“João Lima is a communication designer and art director who works on a freelance basis in the most various disciplines of visual design.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 228 • Replies: 13
No top replies

perennialloner

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 05:27 am
@joaolima,
Take out "the most" and you're good.
0 Replies

joaolima

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 05:44 am
What if I take only the “most”? Like this:

“João Lima is a communication designer and art director who works on a freelance basis in the various disciplines of visual design.”

Is it incorrect?
joaolima

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 05:45 am
And if I take only the “most”? Like this:

“João Lima is a communication designer and art director who works on a freelance basis in the various disciplines of visual design.”

Is it incorrect?
perennialloner

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 05:52 am
@joaolima,
You could say that. That means the person works in all of the various disciplines.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 05:53 am
@joaolima,
Adding the makes it definite. Without the it's indefinite.
0 Replies

joaolima

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 06:11 am
Thank you!

And what about this?

“Born in Viana do Castelo, Portugal, João Lima graduated in Communication Design by Oporto's Superior School of Art and Design in 2009.

He started in this business by doing internships at the award winning studios R2 and White Studio. Then he worked two years as a Junior Graphic Designer at the great Studio Andrew Howard. In 2012 he began working on a freelance basis (between Oporto and Madrid) for his own clients while also kept occasionally collaborating with other graphic design studios like, among others, the Oporto based Studio Dobra.”
perennialloner

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 06:33 am
@joaolima,
It's mostly good. The only thing you really need to fix is "kept." Either take it out or change "while" to "and." I'd also take out "among others." It's implied that Oporto based Studio Dobra is among others.
0 Replies

joaolima

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 08:16 am
And something like this?

“He started in this business by doing internships at the award winning studios R2 and White Studio. Then he worked two years as a Junior Graphic Designer at the great Studio Andrew Howard. In 2012 he began working on a freelance basis (between Oporto and Madrid) for his own clients while keeps occasional collaborations with other independent graphic design studios like, among others, Studio Dobra.”
dalehileman

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 11:48 am
@joaolima,
Mebbe Jo you could delete the "the" too

Edited to remark see also Loner #....054
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 02:16 pm
@joaolima,
It's wrong. Any verb used immediately after "while" has to be gerund (end in -ing).

...while occasionally collaborating with...
...while having occasional collaborations with...
...while continuing to occasionally collaborate with...

Any of those work. My preference is the first. Keep is an odd verb to use in this scenario.
0 Replies

joaolima

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 02:46 pm
Like this?

He started in this business by doing internships at the award winning studios R2 and White Studio. Then he worked two years as a Junior Graphic Designer at the great Studio Andrew Howard. In 2012 he began working on a freelance basis (between Oporto and Madrid) for his own clients, while occasionally collaborating with other graphic design studios like, among others, Studio Dobra.
perennialloner

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 02:49 pm
@joaolima,
That's fine. Smile
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 11:15 am
@joaolima,
It's perfect Jo
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Proposition in on at
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 04:22:24