How is gratitude good for our well-being?

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 10:54 am
According to an article in the Harvard Mental Health Letter, “gratitude is strongly and consistently associated with greater happiness. Gratitude helps people feel more positive emotions, relish good experiences, improve their health, deal with adversity, and build strong relationships.”

What are your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 931 • Replies: 20
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 11:28 am
@anthony1312002,
Tony it's called "conventional wisdom"
anthony1312002

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 11:48 am
@dalehileman,
Interesting. What do you mean by conventional wisdom?
dalehileman

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 11:51 am
@anthony1312002,
Quote:
...do you mean...
Something pretty common or obvious
anthony1312002

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 12:17 pm
@dalehileman,
I see your point. But when we look at society as a whole, do we see this gratitude being expressed by the majority? Or would you say it is the exception to the rule?
contrex

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 01:17 pm
What the article actually says, in summary (and this is the actual sub-heading) is that "Expressing thanks may be one of the simplest ways to feel better." (My emphasis). One group of people studied were asked to write down things that that happened that week that they were grateful for; another group assignment was to write and personally deliver a letter of gratitude to someone who had never been properly thanked for his or her kindness. In each case participants showed a huge increase in happiness scores, with benefits lasting for a month or more. Other studies have looked at how gratitude can improve relationships. For example, a study of couples found that individuals who took time to express gratitude for their partner not only felt more positive toward the other person but also felt more comfortable expressing concerns about their relationship. Managers who remember to say "thank you" to people who work for them may find that those employees feel motivated to work harder.

I guess this is similar to research that shows that positive social acts such as e.g. smiling at people, giving of gifts, etc makes us (and others) feel better. It is not a total surprise to me. I personally always thank people who have provided me with food I have enjoyed, even restaurant or cafeteria staff. To me it is a completion of the experience. I guess I understand now why I do it.

Article here: (it might have been a good idea to provide a link!)

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/in-praise-of-gratitude
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 01:19 pm
@anthony1312002,
anthony1312002 wrote:
when we look at society as a whole, do we see this gratitude being expressed by the majority? Or would you say it is the exception to the rule?

It is very common and widespread. Intriguing that you have to ask this. Are you on the spectrum?
snood

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 02:48 pm
@contrex,
I don't think a general attitude of being grateful is all that widespread and common.
I think it's something that might be simple, but not easy. I think most people need to be reminded that the glass is half full, and that the grass on this side of the fence is just as green, etc.
anthony1312002

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 02:49 pm
@contrex,
I agree that there are many who express a greatful attitude, but social experts have commented on how there is a growing perception that fewer people are expressing it as opposed to earlier generations.
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 02:55 pm
@snood,
That's my point as well. It reminds me of something the Bible says at 2 Tim 3:2 which states: "2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal."

Interesting that among the traits that would be most evident during this time is that of being unthankful which highlights that this would be not the norm but something in excess of the norm.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 03:29 pm
@anthony1312002,
My wife and I are going on a trip and tour to Yosemite later this month, and I was looking for tipping guidelines. Many people in the service industry gave their input, and it seems many people do not tip them. I was amazed, because I've been traveling for most of my adult life, and I always leave it a tip for people who have provided me with a service including tour bus drivers.
I don't even rate that as gratitude as much as a necessity for folks who work for minimum wage. Even Tour Directors can't make a living just from their salary. They depend on tips to make a living.
I used to leave a tip for the housekeeping staff after my stay, but learned long ago that staying at the same hotel for a few days may mean a different housekeeping staff servicing your room, so I now leave a tip every day with a note; HOUSEKEEPING Thank you. $$.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 03:33 pm
@anthony1312002,
anthony1312002 wrote:
something the Bible says at 2 Tim 3:2

Oh, are you an end-of days merchant?

snood

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 03:49 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

anthony1312002 wrote:
something the Bible says at 2 Tim 3:2

Oh, are you an end-of days merchant?

Does quoting the bible make someone an "end-of'days merchant"? And by the way, what is that? Is that a colloquialism for "christian"?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2016 04:35 pm
I've done no studies on this but I qualify as I'm skirting old as a mode.

I think a fair part of who if anyone expresses gratefulness can be categorized to polite thank yous, to express appreciation that someone noticed and perceived you and your point, to someone expressing sheer pleasure that you helped a lot, giving them a clue; to someone thanking you for saving them re your life problem, or actually your life.

I think a fair part of it as that a lot of gettalong conversation involves falsity, or, if not false, promotional jolliness. Not so much people I know, but I've been around that.

Who was that guy, early book on advertising, Vance Packard re Hidden Persuaders. Haven't read that for years and years, but that book was why I didn't go into advertising.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 11:23 am
@snood,
Quote:
the glass is half full, and that the grass on this side of the fence is just as green, etc.
Yea and thanks Snood but why overcomplicate
snood

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 11:51 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
the glass is half full, and that the grass on this side of the fence is just as green, etc.
Yea and thanks Snood but why overcomplicate

Well, thank you too, but... I don't think it's a matter of simple vs complicated, but accurate vs inaccurate. When you say something is "common" you imply that it's a generally accepted and practiced notion. I think that believing and practicing an attitude of gratitude as actually having positive health benefits is something that is decidedly NOT common.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 12:07 pm
@snood,
Snood I think it might depend on the individual making the characterization but I'm getting excessively complex in this assertive equation
snood

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 12:20 pm
@dalehileman,
Sorry didn't mean to make you think
dalehileman

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2016 12:26 pm
@snood,
Snood, apology excepted. Too early in the day for that
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 10:27 am
@contrex,
No, not a doom and gloom peddler. Just someone who is interested in how society has developed socially. And sad to say for the most part, not for the good.

1. Forums
  2. » How is gratitude good for our well-being?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:15:23