Fixing the potholes with fire

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 02:56 pm
My wife came home from work today, telling me about a man at the subdivision entrance burning chunks in the potholes, chunks she described as looking to her like coal. I have never seen a process like that. I did a quick google, but saw no reference to it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,250 • Replies: 22
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 03:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't think I've heard of that either, but it's been a while since I did any street paving design, so I'm not sure what is going on with asphalt or the base, new or old. I'm assuming it's not concrete. What is going on in Albuquerque is that paving design is ridiculously poor, but I've rambled on about that before.

Did you look up "fixing potholes"? I'm guessing you did..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 03:13 pm
I just made a quick search. I figure somebody will have a clue about this.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 04:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlLfAHOyrcQ
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 04:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,

I've used that stuff for years, CI, and it works really well in some places. But our neighborhood streets have deteriorated to the point those kind of patches don't hold very long. The entire paving is unstable. The man I described in the initial post was doing a different process.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 05:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
We live in a city where they take good care of our streets, water, sewer, and trees. It's a good thing we bought here when prices were 'reasonable.' Most high tech workers earning six figures can't afford to buy here; our $52k home is now worth over $1.6 million.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 06:13 pm
The neighborhood committee was supposed to see to street repair, but people quit paying the monthly fee and then it was revealed the committee had not been legally organized. So it's every man for himself.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2016 08:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
oooops!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 04:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The neighborhood committee was supposed to see to street repair, but people quit paying the monthly fee and then it was revealed the committee had not been legally organized. So it's every man for himself.

Is your neighborhood outside of an incorporated city? Otherwise, I would think that you could go to the city's street dept. and petition to have the street repaved. You could probably do that at the county level as well outside of a city or incorporated area.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 06:14 pm
@InfraBlue,
I have been talking asking the county to take it over, but so far haven't done it yet.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 07:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
This is ridiculous.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 07:35 pm
@ossobucotemp,
The man that headed the neighborhood committee before he gave up is suggesting it, but he personally has quit doing a thing for us. Some neighbors asked me if I would sign a petition, but that was over a week ago and they never showed me one to sign. Like I said, it's every man for himself. Or woman.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2016 08:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wish I could help. It's been a while since I've dealt with cities.

You are a man with a lot of brains. You probably can look at who is out there that might understand.

I've known high ups and colleagues in LA, but my nightblindness stopped me long ago. On the other hand, some of us still talk once in a while.

LA is not Houston or Tomball, so I dunno.

I don't want to push you from your present writing to this, exactly, but hoping you can find people that will listen.

A good news column could get umph or be dismissed.

Or, a visit to the powers that be, which I suppose can be dismissed.

I'd start with a column.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 03:03 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

My wife came home from work today, telling me about a man at the subdivision entrance burning chunks in the potholes, chunks she described as looking to her like coal. I have never seen a process like that. I did a quick google, but saw no reference to it.

They used to do this all the time when I was a kid in London. The black stuff is a kind of tar mixture which is melted and spread out while it is runny.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 09:26 am
@contrex,
The patches he made are not that smooth, but they filled some deep holes. Watching now to see if they hold.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 09:35 am
@contrex,
It makes sense it's a tar mixture, it was the possibility of the guy using coal somehow that was confusing.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 09:36 am
@ossobucotemp,
My wife says it just looked like coal. She had no idea what it was.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 10:43 am
@edgarblythe,
I did understand - it was I who made the stretch to wondering if it could be.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 11:09 am
Move to Moscow Very Happy

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2016 11:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I need Putin's help. Da, for sure.
0 Replies