Europeans knowledge about Brits

saab

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 09:38 am
or should it have been lack of...
http://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/internet/2016/09/why-are-british-so-ugly-what-european-nations-search-about-uk-0
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 420 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 11:43 am
@saab,
This sort of proves that the European Union has never been very unifying among the people.

Only a little more than half of the voting UK public approved Brexit, and the Continentals wonder why they are all ugly, dirty and stupid.

If I were a Brit who voted for Remain, I would find this very disappointing.

However progressives never seem to be bothered by other nations disparaging their fellow citizens. They always assume that those disparaging, appreciate that they are there, that they agree with them and they are not ugly, dirty, or stupid like their fellow citizens.

I doubt this is the case.

Fair enough though, they identify with those disparaging more than they identify with their fellow citizens, and patriotism doesn't require anyone to ignore the sins of their fellow citizens, however the "sin" here was voting to exit the EU.

Voting on continued membership in the EU didn't reflect anyone's moral fabric. I know the Remain supporters wanted to make the case that it did, but it's an absurd claim, and typical of the modern progressive playbook.

In my opinion, the reason the polls on Brexit were proved wrong is that the Remain group did a successful job in tarring those who supported Leave as racists. A large number of those polled (God know why) were reluctant to admit they were for Leave.

Now someone might suggest they were embarrassed by being a racist, but does that really make sense?

Someone who feels people are inferior because of their "race," is embarrassed by admitting it?

The most notable racists in our history and in the history of our world, were never shy about declaring their views.

Europeans probably know a lot about Brits (to the extent that they can be homogenized) but this thread is not about Europeans seeking knowledge about Brits, it's about pro-Remain Europeans seeking sites that disparage pro-Leave Brits.

saab

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 12:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Here is something about how Americans see us Swedes.....
http://lajkat.aftonbladet.se/17-bilder-som-visar-hur-amerika-ser-pa-sverige/
ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 12:13 pm
@saab,
#8 ! Laughing

definitely true at Canadian universities

everyone wants the friend with the 20 or 30 year old Volvo - that thing will get you to the Beer Store regardless of the weather
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 12:24 pm
@saab,
Actually, once I translated the page, I found it very funny, but really it is an expression of what the Swedish authors think Americans think about Swedes.

It may be that a lot of Americans do hold some of the individual impressions, but frankly, most Americans don't know enough about Sweden to even get many of the jokes.

If you asked most Americans of their impression of Sweden they would likely answer:

Beautiful Blondes
Vikings
High taxes

In that order.

If that's the worst a nation can think about America, I call them a friend.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 02:10 pm
@saab,
You made me laugh, saab.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 02:14 pm
@ehBeth,
I've owned two volvos, still have the last one, which I bought in '98, it being a '91 turbo station wagon; hey, it's 25 years old this year.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 02:33 pm
"'Volvo, boxy but good." From the movie Crazy People, when Volvos used to be boxy.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2016 02:38 pm
@InfraBlue,
The one in saab's page 8 looks like my first volvo, bought used from a friend who was moving up to a Mercedes. Well, moving up is arguable. The volvo saved my life one afternoon at a west Los Angeles intersection when some goony ran a red light late and sent me and my car twirling. Which.... is why I bought another one, as that one was totaled, with me just fine inside, if a tad shaken.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 07:44 am
To-day the 4th of October is Kanelbullen´s Day in Sweden. Cinnema roll Day in Sweden.
When do you eat it? When you are sad, when you are happy, when you are alone or lonely, when you have guests,when the sun shines, when it rains.
http://www.allers.se/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/kanelbulle5.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Europeans knowledge about Brits
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:10:44