Finding classes that are not inconsistent with an individual in OWL

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 07:01 am
I'm developing an approach that uses an OWL ontology. At a given point of my approach I need to find all the classes which are not inconsistent with a given OWL individual. Please, notice that I'm not trying to find the classes that classify this individual. In my approach it is enough to find the classes that are not inconsistent with it, even if the individual does not match the necessary and sufficiente conditions for being classified in these classes.

Is there any easy way to do this without testing each class (1) including the individual as an instance of that class and (2) running an OWL reasoner for checking the consistency?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,171 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 07:11 am
@zaratruta,
I'm trying to understand what you're looking for. Found this (which I am sure you are more advanced than; it's really more for people trying to answer you): http://www.linkeddatatools.com/introducing-rdfs-owl

I think you are looking at a data problem, a kind of logic problem.

E. g. Individual #1 is in A, B, C classes.
Individual #2 is in A, E, and F classes.
Individual #3 is in G class only.

So (if I am understanding your question correctly), you are looking for E and F when it comes to Individual #1, because those are consistent with A even though you don't start off knowing Individual #1 could be consistent with either. Does that make sense? It's a kind of a many to many data relationship, and those are rather difficult to deal with.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 11:40 am
Ordinary Wizard Level?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Finding classes that are not inconsistent with an individual in OWL
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:03:37