The End of the Year

Noddy24

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:52 pm
In spite of/because of a wet, fecund summer the roadside weeds--even goldenrod flowers--are looking distinctly seedy.

The farm stand has local apples--and local apple cider.

Perhaps Ivan's six inches of rain have silenced the crickets a bit early, but the nights are silent.

BacktoSchool sales are over and the school bus schedule is routine.

The spring fawns are quite leggy now.

Acorns plunk down with cheerful irregularity.

Being a creature of my time and place, I'm more oriented to the academic year than to the agricultural year. I dislike summer heat and the invasion of tourists. Still, September is a month of ending as well as beginning.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 525 • Replies: 11
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 08:57 pm
I am loving September here so far. That DEEP blue when you look straight up that you only get in the fall. Warm sun, cool breezes. Nights are getting cold (40's) and it's taking a while to warm up in the morning. But it does, 70's by the afternoon. Today I spent a happy 20 minutes or so on a swing with sozlet, her snuggled against my chest pretenting to be asleep, with a smile on her face, me looking past a green field with lots of clover at a line of trees, some of them starting to turn -- a bit of yellow, a bit of orange -- and that bluer than blue sky beyond.

Really want to go find an orchard and pick some apples!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 09:10 pm
We got just a hint of Fall this morning. It was 69 degrees before it became hot again. I am hoping for an earlier than normal season change this year.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:03 am
Summer can be great, but I too hate the heat. Here in Michigan the days have been in the 70's and the nights in the mid 50's...that's why I love September and all the changes that it brings.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:07 am
I noticed it for the first time yesterday. After a torrid and humid summer, I perceived the first flutterings of fall. I can't say that there was a chill, (there is rarely a chill in Florida), but I could feel the slight drop in temperature, the barely imperceptable change in the cloud formations, that usher in the fall season.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 07:19 am
Here in Georgia, it's cooled off a bit at night. I put a new comforter on the bed. It's nice and cozy. Me and hubby wore pj bottoms last nite.
Tomorrow it's supposed to be 85. So much for fall coming early.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 11:58 am
On the way to the grocery store this morning, I passed three flocks of birds: mallards, starlings and swifts.

Sometimes I'm muttering, "bare ruin'd choirs where late the sweet birds sang" and sometimes I'm planning to get out the ladder and scour the outsides of the windows to a fare-thee-well.

Two hundred years ago, I might have been all of a matronly flutter about leaving the wholesome countryside behind and going up to London for The Season.

This is the last day of summer. At 12:30 EDT tomorrow afternoon the sun will be directly over the equator. Then the days will grow shorter and the nights much longer.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 01:55 pm
Autumn...my time of year.

Perhaps it's the reflective nature of it...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:01 pm
Stunning blue skies - 30 C yesterday - (that's 86 F) - deciduous trees leafing up - some almost fully leaved, some just with a mist of green - blossom everywhere...lovely smells - ah, Spring!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:14 pm
dlowan--

Contemplating the other side of the equator makes me a little queasy. Even so, you deserve springtime.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:00 pm
86 F here, too, deb! We call this "Indian Summer."
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:05 pm
I love the fall...it's my favorite season of the year.

It's September 22nd...and at 12:30 PM fall will officially begin!

I put up my Halloween decorations today...it's my second favorite 'holiday'...Christmas being the first.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The End of the Year
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 08:46:24