Which is better to have before, action or outcome?

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 03:36 pm
Hi,

I'm trying to determine which is more grammatically correct or would generally be considered more appropriate:

The student ensures the area remains easy to work by relocating or disposing of any extra excavated material OR
The student relocates or disposes of any extra excavated material to ensure the area remains easy to work

More importantly, I'm trying to determine what would be easiest to understand and would love to hear your opinion, thanks

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 383 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 03:41 pm
@autopilotblues,
Quote:
excavated material
doesn't make sense.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 04:02 pm
@autopilotblues,
Auto I have a feeling it somehow depends on context

Cis isn't it the "extra" that's so puzzling
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 04:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:
excavated material
doesn't make sense.

Yes it does - "stuff that was dug out" - makes perfect sense.
contrex

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 04:39 pm
@autopilotblues,
autopilotblues wrote:
More importantly, I'm trying to determine what would be easiest to understand and would love to hear your opinion, thanks

For a native speaker, both are equally and easily comprehensible. You are over thinking this.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 04:53 pm
@contrex,
You're probably right. I'm having difficulty with the sentence. My problem.
Dale also has a good point.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 01:07 am
I don't know about other locales, but in Britain, 'spoil' is a technical term for excavated material.
roger

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 01:16 am
@contrex,
I think it's 'spoil' after it's excavated, and overburden before you start messing with it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 08:03 am
Take out the "of"

The student ensures the area remains easy to work by relocating or disposing any extra excavated material.
perennialloner

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 08:22 am
I wouldn't take out the "of." I assume you're using it to mean getting rid of the excavated material, not arranging them.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 09:05 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
Take out the "of"

No. You dispose of something.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 10:46 am
@autopilotblues,
Both are fine.

I find the second version somewhat easier to understand.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 01:31 pm
@contrex,
Yes, to Contrex's post. Both are fine. I might have liked the second one a little bit better as easier for me to grasp the point.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2016 01:52 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Hah, somehow I didn't see your post, ehBeth, and mine looks like a copy of yours. Reminds me of the bot-like person who gives grammar advice by repeating what others said.

No, no, I deny it!
0 Replies

autopilotblues

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 10:14 am
Hi guys, it wasn't so much the individual words I had a problem with but whether the action of "relocating and disposing" should go before the outcome of "the area remaining clean" or vice versa.
I'm glad to hear the overall consensus that both seem appropriate and I think that Contrex might be right in saying that I'm over thinking it. However, since a couple of people specifically preferred the second I'm going to go with that. Thanks to all!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Which is better to have before, action or outcome?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 07:51:31