Internet keeps cutting out, running out of ideas. Any help?

Jm133

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 10:31 am
Hi, this may get a bit long winded but I'm going to try and put everything here so you know my situation.

So for about 3 months now my Internet connection has been cutting out frequently with no real pattern to it. It could cut out 8 times a day for a few days or it could go a few days being stable. When it cuts out, it generally last from 20 mins to half an hour and its hard to show the engineers what is wrong with the connection because when they arrive the connection is fine (more on them later). The only thing Ive noticed in terms of a pattern would be that when it cuts out, its very likely to do it again and again shortly after.

When it goes down, the router (BT home hub 4) remains on and flashes the broadband light Orange, or the strip light stays a stable Orange. Ive done the following things to tackle the problem:

- Changed the filters
- Changed the router
- Tried different cables and moved the router and phone etc around to different porta
- Followed all BTs instructions (including having the connection refreshed to the exchange) and had 3 different engineers sent out
-Ensured its not the Wireless by using ethernet
-The first changed where the master soccer is in my house and made sure that my router was connected to that
-The second engineer changed the phone/broadband line in case of a fault with no success
-The third changed the line again and said that the other engineer must not have done it properly. After that, the issue went for a couple of days but then came back as usual

Sorry if Ive left anything out and this is a long read, but sort of running out of pacience! Any help is appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 304 • Replies: 10
No top replies

seac

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 11:17 am
@Jm133,
I have a Netgear router/Wifi unit. It requires online registration for it to work properly. If not done, it would get you on the internet for about ten minutes and then cut out. A couple of times the router would start cutting out and I had a really hard time trying to figure out what was the problem. Doing online registration again helped get the connection from cutting out. Maybe it doesn't apply to your router, but it is something to check on.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 02:02 pm
@Jm133,
Jm I will fwd OP to a couple of experts, one my No. 1 Son
...but no promises
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 03:53 pm
@Jm133,
You might be able to find a solution here:
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/wireless-tips-does-your-wireless-router-keep-disconnecting-or-dropping-the-connection/
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 07:12 pm
Just a guess-I know someone who was only able to get the internet steady if they got a small amplifier for the signal.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 08:09 pm
Maybe it's squirrels. Yes, I'm serious. Squirrels. I still have a landline. Verizon. Squirrels apparently like the taste of their cables, and have for a century, and like to chew on them, according to their techs. They can chew just enough sometimes to make the connection really erratic and hard as the devil to find. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not. Has happened to my phones maybe three times in 20 years. I have Comcasst cable for internet, and a couple months ago had a similar intermittent no-signal for internet. Nothing inside they suggested worked to fix it. They scheduled me for a home visit, and one of their techs was going to check outside my building before then. He probably came and did something outside, but the Comcast people couldn't tell from their records what it wss, but the problem disappeared. My guess it was squirrels there too. Get your provider to check their cables.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 08:13 pm
@MontereyJack,
I've heard about squirrels chewing through cables, but that was many decades ago. I'm surprised that's still a problem. We have squirrels in our neighborhood, but we never had cable problems, and we've lived here since the mid-seventies.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 08:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
maybe it's just New England squirrels that have the taste. Or maybe CA uses better cables.
0 Replies

Jm133

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 05:28 am
Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I'm fairly sure Ive spotted a pattern which I hadnt really noticed before... Though it doesnt always happen, the net does drop out when the house phone rings. Not all the time, but enough that its making me think its not just a coincidence... But since we've had the line changed time already, could this mean that its the Internal wiring inside the house?

Pretty sure its not Wireless itself getting knocked out by the Wireless house phone as devices still connect to the router. Got (another) engineer visiting on Wednesday so hopefully this time it gets sorted...
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 10:11 am
@Jm133,
Let us know what he finds so others with the same problem will know how to fix it.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 10:37 am
After you've cleared up whether or not the electrical wiring and distribution of power is OK, I'd be very concerned about BT. I 'be a good friend in England (Dorset area) who told me ( for years now) BT is notorious, or should I say infamous, for connection problems and keeping a steady signal to its customers. Their technical support has been described as very inadequate. You may be having those issues.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Internet keeps cutting out, running out of ideas. Any help?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 11:39:58