Water shorted outlet

kevo84

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 08:54 pm
Hello,

First time poster with a long question on a short (maybe?)

I was cleaning out my aquarium and accidentally got some water on the outlet which immediately caused the lights to go out on that breaker.

I checked the breakers and one seemed to be slightly tripped. It is a 15 amp with a 10,000 splash fuse (basically like this https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schneider-Electric-QO115CAFIC-Single-Pole/dp/B004Z4XAOK)

I got a multimeter and tested the suspicious breaker and it was still putting out 125. I tested the rest of the breakers to make sure, and they are all putting voltage out as well.

So, my problem is the circuit with the outlet that is behind the aquarium will not turn on...so i'm guessing there is a short elsewhere.

Any clues on where to check first? There are no circuit breaker outlets in this circuit either.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 286 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 09:31 pm
@kevo84,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0HjaR0tj7Q
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 06:28 am
@kevo84,
1) Check to see if there is a GFI on this circuit. If so, it likely tripped. That is exactly what it is designed to do.
2) Check to see if other outlets on the same breaker are dead. If it is the breaker, all the outlets in the room will likely be dead. You should go ahead and open the breaker, check to see which outlets are dead, then reset the breaker and see that they power up.
3) Turn off the breaker, open up the outlet and inspect it. It could damaged.
kevo84

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 10:16 am
@engineer,
I think I've already ruled out the breaker since it is putting out 125 volts. I replaced the outlet that was involved with the water accident as well. I also opened up all the outlets and switches on that breaker and tested them with a multimeter to see if they were getting voltage...none of them are. Is my last resort to go into the attic and trace the lines of it ha voltage detector?
kevo84

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 10:17 am
@engineer,
Also, would gfis be somewhere other than on the outlets themselves like in the attic?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 11:24 am
@kevo84,
Ok, this is good information. Just to be clear:

- All the outlets on the breaker are dead.
- The breaker is closed and the outlet measures 125V
- You've replaced the outlet that got wet.
- There is no apparent GFI on this loop.

It is very unlikely that a GFI outlet would be in the attic, but there could be one in the garage. Where in your house is the outlet located? Are all the dead outlets in the same room, or are some in other rooms? There should be a GFI in each bathroom, the kitchen and on any outside outlets you have. It should be a two minute test to hit them all and reset them just to be sure. If your issue is in a bedroom, there might not be a GFI.

The next step is a little tedious. Kill the power and physically disconnect half the outlets (including the one you are worried about) then power back up. Do the other ones have power? If so, kill power, add half out the disconnected outlets back in and repeat. See if you can isolate it to one circuit.
kevo84

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 03:05 pm
@engineer,
When I say I'm getting 125 at the breaker I mean with the breaker switched to on testing the breaker box ground to the breaker hot.

As far as I can tell from turning off all the other breakers the only effected outlets/switches are on this breaker.

This is an old 70s house with mostly original outlets so there are no gfci that I know of...I'll double check tonight.

It's weird that this is an afci circuit breaker and it only controls 3 interior living room outlets and a double light switch for the living room
0 Replies

kevo84

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 07:01 pm
Before I go messing with replacing outlets and switches here is where I am now:

Tested all breakers (ground to box, lead on breakers) all are outputting 125v

I have 3 outlets out all within one corner wall area and 2 light switches out in the same area controlling a single bulb sconce and 5 light chandelier.

I have tested voltage without taking the outlets/switches out and all have no voltage. Will disconnecting them fix that possibly?

Just cant understand how all breakers are delivering power and just this one area is out...can wires just fry?

engineer

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 08:42 pm
@kevo84,
One simple and somewhat silly test. Open the breaker and test it again to see if you still get 125V. Maybe something is giving you a signal there. It doesn't make sense that the breaker is supplying power but all the outlets are dead.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Water shorted outlet
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/12/2024 at 08:26:37