How to furnish an apartment

ehBeth

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 01:08 pm
@kaffenons,
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/3e/7a/a3/3e7aa3971169a603f98a48efd7271563.jpg

based on this, it's possible that there is an opening between the living room and bedroom - without a door (or maybe a pocket door).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 01:13 pm
I'd suggest downloading free floor plan design software and then arranging/rearranging furniture until you find something you think you'd like.
kaffenons

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 01:28 pm
@saab,
Hehe, I think that's good advice, the practical approach.
Thanks for all the help. IKEA next Smile
kaffenons

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 01:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, I think it's a pocket door. Yes, that's good advice, I'll try something like that, I still have some time so. I've seen something called Roomsketcher or something like that, but I thought it looked too advanced for me, but I should take another look. Many thanks.
saab

Thu 25 Aug, 2016 12:27 am
@kaffenons,
Make a bigger plan of the apartment, look at the IKEA furniture in the catalog with your wife and choose things you like, cut small pieces of paper in the size which IKEA says, but fit the apartment size you made. Move them around and choose what fits best and you like. 1 meter something like 4 squares.
Easiest is with paper with squares.
kaffenons

Thu 25 Aug, 2016 02:01 am
@saab,
Yes, we must try to picture the furniture in the apartment before bying it, so I guess that's the best way to do it. I will also go and see the apartment before we move so I can see how it's like and how the tenant is doing it now. But it looks like a turnable wall mount for the TV would be the best solution, so that the sofa is where it is on the floorplan. I always want to sit in front of the TV, so I've done some bad furnishing in my bachelor days. That's why I needed help, I'm sure my wife will agree with your points, and now I don't have to disagree. This is all quite recent, so we haven't had time to discuss it, but I'm more ready to do it now.
ruletheworld

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 03:53 am
@kaffenons,
Maybe get smaller TV for start
0 Replies

saab

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 04:12 am
@kaffenons,
It looks like there is only 20 centimetres between beds and wall, so you might need both doors to the bedroom so one person can get in and out easily.
ehBeth

Fri 26 Aug, 2016 09:23 am
@kaffenons,
The free floor plan software is great.

When my dad moved from a 3 bedroom house full of furniture into a bachelor apartment in a retirement residence, the people there e-mailed him the floor plan and software so he could test out different furniture set-ups and figure out what he could take with him and what needed to be sold.

If you're using Ikea - talk to someone there about their free software. It's not the very best out there - but it does have their furniture with the right sizes (or so my friends tell me).
0 Replies

ruletheworld

Fri 2 Sep, 2016 02:54 am
@saab,
that you definitely need small tv
saab

Fri 2 Sep, 2016 03:29 am
@ruletheworld,
Why a small TV? It can hang on a wall and not take away space needed for furniture.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Fri 2 Sep, 2016 04:20 am
@kaffenons,
Home should be furnished to our liking what else ? Don't let conventions get into your private space... Try mini golf and grass in your living room if you like it
saab

Fri 2 Sep, 2016 04:54 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Of course it should be to your liking, but some help with the practical side is not bad.
Fil Albuquerque

Fri 2 Sep, 2016 08:04 am
@saab,
I want a full chain suspended round bed in my room...don't know if it is practical or how am I going to get such a bed without making the project myself, but heck I will get one eventually along with some grass and green house just because to me my private space should not be bound by conventional social dictums or traditions. House decoration from my humble pov is extremely uncreative. That said I fully agree practicality is part of the equation. Wink
0 Replies

mayrarod719

Fri 10 Feb, 2017 03:26 pm
@kaffenons,
There are many ways to redesign your living room, I think the first step is describing how you envision your living room and the rest will flow.
0 Replies

theashleys

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 03:08 am
@kaffenons,
Even if your rental walls are white and your seating is nondescript, the smallest of decorations can make a big impact. Bring personality to your apartment with plenty of fun throw pillows. To make changing your look easier down the road, buy pillow covers and pillow forms separately.
0 Replies

IWing

Tue 19 Sep, 2017 05:58 am
@kaffenons,
You can move the TV to the bathroom's wall and put the couch and table in the middle of the room, kind of. Then the dining table will go in the corner behind the couch, next to the windows and the door for the terrace.
0 Replies

NitinKumud

Fri 12 Jan, 2018 05:45 am
Following are the ways to furnish an apartment-
1. Set a Budget
2. Measure Absolutely Everything
3. Style One Room at a Time
4. Think About the Big Picture
5. Opt For Multipurpose Furniture
6. Think Before You Buy
7. Add a Light-Colored Rug
8. Consider Traffic
0 Replies

toto26

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 01:03 am
@kaffenons,
I think it's a lot about colors, in a small place you need light shades. And a big mirror placed strategically.
0 Replies