Do two commas around a clause make it non-essential?

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 12:45 pm
I'm confused as I've been studying English a lot more lately. I was wondering if a comma is on both sides of a clause, does that mean it is non-essential? I'll give an example:

Besides, the quicker he could get to them, the quicker his problems would be solved.

Should one of the commas be removed, because it definitely doesn't seem like a non-essential clause.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 407 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 01:25 pm
@Lumenatrum,
Lumen definitely the first'n's gotta be there, don't know technicalities, but otherwise, "Besides the quicker..." can be misconstrued

The 2d don't gotta

Help
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:05 pm
Besides, the quicker he could get to them, the quicker his problems would be solved.

Keep them all in.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 02:33 pm
@PUNKEY,
I agree with PUNKEY.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 03:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Okay Cis but there's a trend away from the 2d one
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 03:48 pm
@dalehileman,
Call me old fashioned. Wink
dalehileman

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 03:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Okay Cis ur old fashioned

Me too I guess
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 09:22 pm
@Lumenatrum,
It depends. I was always taught to remove the clause to see if the sentence still makes sense.

In this case, it doesn't.

"besides" is the only non-essential part of this sentence. it's one of those introductory words like "however," "well," and "in addition" that when used this way always has a comma after it. in your example, the comma belongs solely to besides. it would sound a little funny but you could technically move "besides" to the middle of the sentence or the end.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 09:33 pm
@perennialloner,
I see it a bit differently. I see that the break point with a comma is a complete sentence with its noun and verb.
perennialloner

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 09:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I could be wrong but I thought a complete sentence, if we're talking strictly, has to express a complete idea, which would mean the first clause in this sentence requires the second?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:11 pm
@perennialloner,
You are correct. A sentence must express a complete idea.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do two commas around a clause make it non-essential?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 12:18:07