HELP!!having trouble with the question form of would/should have done

stoneqr

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 12:16 pm
Hi,
I'm having trouble with the question form of would /should have done.

I came across this sentence"Would it have killed you to give me that?" and wonder the difference between it and " would it kill you to give me that?"
Under what circumstances will you use each of them?

My 2nd question is can anyone tell me the meaning of "Should they have been so strict with their children?" so are "they" strict to their children or not? is the question discussing whether they should be more strict as they are currently not?

thank you!!!!!!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 244 • Replies: 2
No top replies

perennialloner

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 12:28 pm
@stoneqr,
the first is asking about a situation from the past; the second, one in the present

your second question is saying they were strict, and asking if they should have been.

the question implies nothing of whether they should be more strict, or whether they currently are.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 04:03 pm
@stoneqr,
1. A matter of tense. With the first you could presently be dead, speaking to a fella in a coffin who had actually been killed of course, in one way or another. Maybe his estranged wife was listening

2. Stone that's a very good q. Ordinarily, yes, they had been strict. To establish one of the other two meanings satisfactorily might require more words

Eg, Should they have been so strict with their children as the Jones were with theirs...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » HELP!!having trouble with the question form of would/should have done
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 01:15:47