english grammar check - abstract

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2016 08:40 am
hi. I try translate something from Czech to English. can you check it please?

it is abstract in thesis about health care in past simple.
i need right english grammar:

original text in czech:
Diplomová práce byla mířena teoretickým směrem, ve kterém byl představen pojem deprese. V návaznosti na to byly specifikovány faktory a příčiny, které depresi ve stáří způsobují a mají na ni podstatný vliv. Práce se dále zabývala i odlišnostmi v klinické symptomatologii deprese ve stáří. Přiblížila možnosti a různé bariéry v diagnostice deprese. Další části práce seznamovaly s komplexním geriatrickým vyšetřením,
s diagnostickými klasifikačními systémy, možnými screeningovými metodami
a škálami pro detekci deprese u starší populace. Práce představila způsoby farmakologické a nefarmakologické léčby a její případné komplikace spojené s vyšším věkem. Z důvodu zvýšené sebevražednosti zapříčiněné depresivní poruchou byla představena i problematika suicidálního jednání seniorů. V dalších kapitole práce byl popsán ošetřovatelský proces, který je sestrami využívaný v praxi pro zhodnocení zdravotního stavu pacienta, zhotovení ošetřovatelské diagnostiky, vytvoření ošetřovatelského plánu, následné realizace a vyhodnocení. Ošetřovatelský proces je také potřebný pro poskytování kvalitní ošetřovatelské péče. Závěrem práce byla posouzena úloha sester ve screeningu deprese u seniorů v různých zdravotnických zařízeních
a jejich podíl na včasném vyhodnocení deprese u seniorů. Především bylo zjišťováno, jakou roli má sestra při screeningu deprese.

my translate:
This thesis was focused theoretical direction in which was introduced the concept of depression. Following it were specified factors and reasons that cause depression in old age and have an important influence on it. The work also dealt with differences in the clinical symptomatology of depression in old age. Another part acquainted with complex geriatric examination, diagnostic classification systems, possible screening methods
and scales for detection of depression in the elderly population. Thesis presented methods of pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment and its possible complications associated with older age. By reason of increase suicide rate caused by depressive disorder was introduced the issue of suicidal behavior in the elderly. Next chapter described the nursing process, which is used by nurses in practice for the evaluation of the patient's health condition, making nursing diagnosis, creating nursing plan and subsequent implementation and evaluation. The nursing process is also needed for providing quality care. In conclusion was assessed the role of nurses at screening for depression in the elderly in different health facilities and their contribution to the early evaluation of depression in seniors. Primarily it was investigated what is the role of the nurse in screening for depression.

Thank you for your help :-)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 398 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2016 12:33 pm
@kostitras777,
Kos I don't speak Czech but I wonder if that matters. However, this sort of work is very time-consuming and so I will try 3 sentences, maybe more later

This thesis was focused theoretical direction in which was introduced the concept of depression. Following it were specified factors and reasons that cause depression in old age and have an important influence on it. The work also dealt with differences in the clinical symptomatology of depression in old age.

This thesis was focused upon (or on, or by) a theoretical direction in which was introduced the concept of depression. Following it were specified factors and reasons that cause causing depression in old age and or ? have an important influence on it. The work also dealt with differences in the clinical symptomatology of such depression in old age.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2016 05:39 pm
@kostitras777,
I don't speak Czech either, and unfortunately don't know even a little bit about the grammar, but hopefully this will be somewhat helpful.

1. From looking at the original abstract, Czech doesn't seem to use "the," "a," or "an," which means you don't use "the" where it should be used a lot of times. It's almost never grammatically wrong to add "the" in front of nouns in English.

In Czech, it might be proper to say "boy saw girl," but in English you need to say "a boy saw a girl," or "the boy saw a girl," or "the boy saw the girl." Sorry if that's confusing.

Here are some examples from your abstract.

a) Práce představila způsoby farmakologické a nefarmakologické léčby a její případné komplikace spojené s vyšším věkem.

The thesis presented methods of pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment and its possible complications associated with older age.

b) V dalších kapitole práce byl popsán ošetřovatelský proces,

The next chapter described the nursing process,

Look out for those extra thes and ans and as if you can!

2. You use "was" as a helping verb to another verb a lot: "was introduced," "was investigated," and "was assessed." There may be more that I didn't catch. In English, it's best to put these after the subject they pertain to.

Examples from your abstract.

a) Diplomová práce byla mířena teoretickým směrem, ve kterém byl představen pojem deprese.

This thesis was focused theoretical direction in which was introduced the concept of depression.

You got the first one correct. "was focused" describes the subject, "this thesis."
"was introduced" is incorrect because it's unclear what it describes, which should be "the concept of depression."

This thesis was focused on theoretical direction in which the concept of depression was introduced.

b)Z důvodu zvýšené sebevražednosti zapříčiněné depresivní poruchou byla představena i problematika suicidálního jednání seniorů

By reason of increase suicide rate caused by depressive disorder was introduced the issue of suicidal behavior in the elderly.

By reason of increased suicide rate caused by depressive disorder the issue of suicidal behavior in the elderly was introduced.

3. I don't want to completely rework your abstract, but a lot of the word choices you use in Czech might not be the best in English. I'd try to stay away from past tenses, unless you're talking about the method of the project.

Try to stay in active voice as much as you can.

For example,
a) This thesis was focused theoretical direction in which was introduced the concept of depression.

This thesis focuses on theoretical direction, which introduces the concept of depression.

In English, this wording sounds clearer and more direct.

Hopefully some of this helps, and doesn't overwhelm you/isn't too hard to understand.

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 11:52 am
@perennialloner,
Wow, Loner, Kos oughta be grateful. I had spent what seems like hours on mine but how long did it take you

No offense, I'm impressed
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 12:02 pm
@kostitras777,
Another part acquainted with complex geriatric examination, diagnostic classification systems, possible screening methods
and scales for detection of depression in the elderly population. Thesis presented methods of pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment and its possible complications associated with older age

Another part acquaintsed us with complex geriatric examination, diagnostic classification systems, possible screening methods, and scales for detection of depression in the elderly population. This part of the thesis also presenteds methods of pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment and its possible complications associated with older age
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » english grammar check - abstract
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 02:19:45