Pragmatism

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:12 am
Pragmatism
There may be little more alarming then politicians and economists who claim they are Pragmatists. Not only is this condemned by being a single simple value, that must be related to others. The fact is it has to be to do so make any sense at all. It is impossible to be pragmatic other than for a purpose. Whatever that purpose, or set of purposes is, denotes the real philosophy that is in view. If the aim is to produce as many goods as possible, that can be sold on the 'free market', as cheaply as possible, for the greatest profit. Nothing else. Then that person has a philosophy that disregards the environment, and social needs. Bring in such a term as 'sustainable' and at least lip service is given to nature, and indeed to the human future. Continue on that theme but still with maximum profit to the 'shareholder' and a tyranny of ownership may be the end. If everyone is treated as shareholders of commerce and industry, and the social fabric, then anarchism is possible. Introduce social responsibility, as opposed to duty to the 'state' and a more altruist end-view arises.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 383 • Replies: 1
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 11:03 am
@RW Standing,
Pragmatism seems a good value in politics when a person like Trump just says, "I'll make America great again." A good number of Americans believe that BS, even when Trump doesn't provide any details of how he's going to accomplish this feat.
When it sounds good, it sells. Americans aren't too bright.
Have you heard what Mr Kahn said about Trump? Mr Kahn is the one who lost a son in the US military.

From my POV, Trump is just a narcissist who has worked all his life for self interest. Anybody who believes he will work to help "all the people" can consider my offer of a bridge I have for sale in Montana.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Pragmatism
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:06:11