Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:38 am
There’s a leak in the roof under the swamp cooler so I want to seal it up, but I’m not sure just what kinda substance I need. It would have to be brushed on or better yet, sprayed (if not exceedingly more expensive). It would be clear, wouldn’t expand upon application.

Gummy products are out of the question ‘cause they’d take forever to apply

I was tempted by an on-line product called Flex-Seal—a rubbery substance that one brushes on--though had hoped to find something from—for instance--Home Depot. From Orchard we have Glaze ’N Seal “Wet Look” Concrete & Masonry Lacquer but I’m not sure a laq would be better than the rubber

So if you’ve had some experience with stuff like that I hope to hear from you, and thanks a million, guys
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 602 • Replies: 9
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 12:48 pm
If you are going to use Flexseal, I would say try this product on a similar spot that cannot be harmed by using it. Give it plenty of time to adhere and dry. Then see if it is stuck good and repels water.

The spray cans of flex seal warn contractors should not use it.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 01:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you Ed.

Quote:
So have you used the spray can and if so whaddya think; and how does it compare pricewise with the brush-on
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 01:40 pm
@dalehileman,
Use roofing asphalt and cover it with roofing granules.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 01:52 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Thank you Ed.

Quote:
So have you used the spray can and if so whaddya think; and how does it compare pricewise with the brush-on

Spray Flex Seal is thin as water. I experimented with it, but never formed a conclusion if it helped.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 03:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://www.hubnames.com/home-kitchen/flex-seal-reviews/
dalehileman

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 03:56 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
roofing asphalt
Thank you for that suggestion, Blue. I am wondering however if asphalt might limit access to mounting hardware
dalehileman

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 03:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cis thanks for that link. So it does look like Flex Seal might be a good choice
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 04:21 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
roofing asphalt
Thank you for that suggestion, Blue. I am wondering however if asphalt might limit access to mounting hardware

I would think that the mounting hardware, i.e. the legs, is a permanent fixture on the roof. If the leak is coming from the mounting screw holes a quick fix would be to cover them with asphalt and granules. A better fix would be to remove the cooler and the legs, cover the leak and remount them.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 11:07 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
A better fix would be
Thanks Blue, I was afraid somebody might suggest that
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Best sealant
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 01:00:40