Received in my morning E-mail.

> Subject: middle class republican...
>
> Joe gets up at 6:00 AM to prepare his morning coffee. He fills his pot
with
> good, clean drinking water because some liberal fought for minimum water
> quality standards. He takes his daily medication with his first swallow of
> coffee. His medications are safe to take because some liberal fought to
> insure their safety and that they work as advertised.
>
> All but $10.00 of his medications are paid for by his employer's medical
> plan. Because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid
> medical insurance, now Joe gets it too. He prepares his morning breakfast
> -- bacon and eggs this day. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some
liberal
> fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.
>
>
> Joe takes his morning shower, reaching for his shampoo. His bottle is
> properly labeled with every ingredient and the amount that is contains
> because some liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on
> his body and the breakdown of its contents. Joe dresses, walks outside and
> takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some
tree-hugging
> liberal fought for laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He
walks
> to the subway station for his government-subsidized ride to work; it saves
> him considerable money in parking and transportation fees. You see, some
> liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone
> the opportunity to be a contributor.
>
> Joe begins his work day; he has a good job with excellent pay, medical
> benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some liberal
union
> members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer meets
> these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call
> the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed he'll get
> worker's compensation or an unemployment check because some liberal didn't
> think he should loose his home to temporary misfortune.
>
> It's noon time. Joe needs to make a bank deposit so he can pay some bills.
> Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some liberal
wanted
> to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking
> system before the depression.
>
> Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae underwritten mortgage and his below market
> federal student loan because some stupid liberal decided that Joe and the
> government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money
> over his lifetime.
>
> Joe is home from work. He plans to visit his father this evening at his
> farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive to dad's; his
> car is among the safest in the world because some liberal fought for car
> safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. He was the third
> generation to live in the house financed by Farmers Home Administration
> because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have
> electric until some big government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't
> belong and demanded rural electrification (those rural Republican's would
> still be sitting in the dark).
>
> Joe is happy to see his dad, who is now retired. Joe's dad lives on Social
> Security and his union pension because some liberal made sure he could
take
> care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to. After his visit with dad, Joe
gets
> back in his car for the ride home. He turns on a radio talk show. The host
> keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't
> tell Joe that his beloved Republicans have fought against every protection
> and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day. Joe agrees, "We don't need
those
> big government liberals ruining our lives. After all, I'm a self-made man
> who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."
>
> In the years to come, Joe's life will change dramatically. The U.S. dollar
> will be devalued as a result of our huge deficit, our living standards
> demolished, our standing with the world diminished and our social security
> gone...all because some conservative republican made sure he could take
> care of himself and his buddies.
>
> Aghast, I remain...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 592 • Replies: 12
No top replies

lab rat

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 07:05 am
You forgot,
"Joe checks his stock portfolio on the web, thanks to some liberal who invented the internet."
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:01 am
Sentimental journey for inventor of the Internet
LabRat flippantly wrote: "You forgot, 'Joe checks his stock portfolio on the web, thanks to some liberal who invented the internet.'"

Your comment demeans the man who refused to use his internet invention to make billions of dollars for himself in order to make the internet available to everyone in the world. ---BBB

Thursday 4 January 2001
Sentimental journey for inventor of the Internet
by Roisin Woolnough

His creation of the World Wide Web was the original Internet start-up. Roisin Woolnough reminisces with Tim Berners-Lee.

It is one thing to have a vision and achieve it. It is quite another to do so without compromising your ideals.

Tim Berners-Lee managed both. The founder of the World Wide Web, his vision of the Web as it is today first started taking form in 1980. Frustrated by what he saw as the unnecessary incompatibility of computers, he made it his mission to enable people to share information through technology. This became a reality in 1991, when the general public logged onto the Web and became hooked.

Berners-Lee's interest in technology can be traced back to his childhood. His parents were mathematicians and had a deep interest in science and technology. Indeed, they have their own place in IT history, having met while working on the world's first commercial computer, the Ferranti Mark 1. His mother then acquired the title of the "first commercial computer programmer", after accompanying the Ferranti to its installation site.

Berners-Lee, now 45, says his parents were fascinated and excited by the idea that people could program computers to do almost anything. This enthusiasm spilt over into family life. "Around the house, it was clear that maths was exciting and fun," says Berners-Lee. "The curious properties of things were a source of delight and definitely not boring."

When Berners-Lee was still in secondary school, he came home one day to find his father immersed in books on the brain, trying to establish how to make computers act intuitively and make the connections that a person's brain can make. This thought stayed with Berners-Lee throughout school and university.

After school, Berners-Lee studied physics at Oxford University. Although he enjoyed the subject and says many of the concepts were useful to him later on when he was devising his global system, he felt electronics was a more exciting field at the time. It was at university that he built his first computer, using a soldering iron, TTL gates, a M6800 processor and an old television.

The telecom company Plessey Data Systems was doing the milk round at universities when Berners-Lee was close to graduation. He liked the look of what the company was offering and so he landed his first IT job. It wasn't until 1980, when Berners-Lee started a six-month placement as a software consultant at the European Particle Physics Laboratory in Switzerland, known as CERN, that his ideas of a global network began to bear fruition.

In the beginning

It all began with a program that he wrote in his spare time and for his own use, to help himself remember all the people, computers and projects he came across at CERN. He called it Enquire, short for Enquire Within upon Everything, the title of a Victorian book of advice that his parents had owned. Enquire was a Web-like program, storing information by using random associations. Berners-Lee would type in a page of information and each page was a node in the program. To create a new node, he would simply make a link from the old node. The computer could then make associations between different pieces of information, rather like a Web. Enquire was written in Pascal and ran on the proprietary Norsk Data Syntran-III operating system. One of the real benefits of Enquire was that the program stored information without using structures like matrices or trees.

Much to Berners-Lee's regret, Enquire is no longer in existence. When his time was up at CERN, he gave the entire Enquire source code to a systems manager on a floppy disk, and it was subsequently lost. "I feel very sentimental about that," says Berners-Lee. "It's a shame when you lose information that exists and it's good to look back and see which ideas have been there in the first place. I have developed a paranoia about losing things now and take lots of photographs and record everything."

Even though Enquire was lost and his work at CERN was at an end, it had set things in motion for Berners-Lee. It was about this time that the Internet and hypertext were becoming big news and Berners-Lee decided that he wanted to marry the two together to form his worldwide connectivity vision.

Many people find it difficult to separate their concept of the Internet from their concept of the Web. The Internet is, in basic terms, a network of networks. It is a series of cables that run between computers, enabling people to use applications such as email. The Web is a much more abstract creation, a means for finding and disseminating information. This time, the connections are hypertext links. Another misconception is that the Net and the Web were created at the same time. The Internet was formed in the 1970s, but was only used by a very small community and for specific functions at first. It only really became something of use and interest to the general public in 1991, when the Web arrived.

"Before the Web there was the Internet and there were computers all over the place," explains Berners-Lee. "But they were all incompatible and you needed different hardware to get at them, and sometimes different software. There were huge barriers to getting at information. In fact, you had to be a technological whizz on the Internet and at using a particular computer and system. If you went to a library to use a machine, you had to learn the particular program that that library used."

In 1984, Berners-Lee returned to the CERN on a fellowship program. His vision was still to generalise computers, but a big obstacle was convincing people at CERN, and the world at large, of his ideas. "People were very sceptical and it felt like there were so many mountains to move," says Berners-Lee. Fortunately, his boss at CERN game him the freedom to pursue his ideas, even though they were not strictly within the remit of his job.

Berners-Lee wanted to use the idea of Enquire, but make it into a global system.

His aim was to combine Enquire's external links with hypertext and a remote procedure call system he had invented to enable communication between all the CERN computers and networks.

Then, in 1990, he was given a NeXT computer, the new PC designed by Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple Computer. The NeXT provided the platform Berners-Lee needed to program his hypertext ideas. It was at this point that he decided he needed to give his project a name. He wanted a name that expressed his vision of a global, decentralised network. Mine of Information was one idea, but Berners-Lee thought the acronym MOI, French for me, looked too egocentric. The Information Mine was another possibility, but that acronym was even worse - TIM! The World Wide Web, however, summed up what Berners-Lee was trying to do, and so it was called. It was on this NeXT computer that Berners-Lee wrote the first Web client, browser-editor, and server.

Visionaries and a routemaster

Berners-Lee had a lot of support from people who believed in his vision. Several other IT visionaries were also creating connective systems. But if the Web had been created by someone else, it is unlikely that it would exist in the form that it does now. "Someone would have got at the Web via a different route, but it would have been taken up by a publisher and it would have been a proprietary system," explains Berners-Lee. "You would only be published by going to a mammoth organisation and asking for some space and they would have agreed a certain consistency. I don't think it would have taken off so well."

Inventing the Web could have made Berners-Lee a very rich man, but he refused to patent his inventions. He wanted to keep the Web open to everyone in a creative format. And by no means are his Web-labours finished. In 1994, Berners-Lee joined the Laboratory for Computer Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He is also the director of the World Wide Web Consortium, a forum of companies and organisations that is proactive in developing the Web.

Berners-Lee thinks the Web is soon to enter a new phase. His vision now is of a semantic Web where machines are able to analyse the information that is on the Web. Berners-Lee envisages programs acting as intelligent agents and helping humans to organise their lives. It goes right back to the early days when he first started thinking of intuitive computers. "It's so exciting it's got me writing code again," he says.

Just as the mark-up languages XML and HTML have been so important in the Web world, so Berners-Lee says new technologies are emerging with the creation of the semantic Web. For the next level, the new models will be Resource Description Framework and Scalable Vector Graphics.

And it won't be long.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:37 am
Whenever I read things like this I'm reminded of the Montana Freemen. Remember them?

They were the knuckleheads that rejected the validity of the government and set up their own "state" while accepting farm subsidies from the government.

Honestly, I don't know whether to laugh or vomit over such idiocy.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:08 am
A US Department of Defense project, ARPANET , was the foundation for what became both The Internet and The World Wide Web. While you think about that, remember this:

Fr Denis Edward O'Brien, USMC wrote:
It is the Soldier, not the Reporter,
who has given us Freedom of the Press.

It is the Soldier, not the Poet,
who has given us Freedom of Speech.

It is the Soldier, not the Lawyer,
who has given us the Right to a Free Trial.

It is the Soldier, who salutes the Flag,
who serves under the Flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the Flag,
who allows the Protestor to burn the Flag.

When finished, you may return to your normal browsing, thanks to The United States Department of Defense.
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:10 am
kudos to berners-lee.

lab-rat's comment is surely appreciated and welcome.
And of course so is bbb's.

i happen to follow lab-rat's idea better though.

i guess EVERYTHING is political. good grief!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:16 am
Timber
Timber, you are correct that the military first devised linked computers to control the trajectory of missiles to improve their acuracy in war.

The subject of my post developed an internet for everyone in the world to achieve international communication which, hopefully, will someday reduce the numbers of wars.

BBB
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:19 am
thanks timberlandko. enjoyed it.

this topic should have never been posted in the general category.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:22 am
PamO.
Where would you suggest?
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:27 am
"political forum." (said with friendliest voice possible.)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:46 am
Re: Timber
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Timber, you are correct that the military first devised linked computers to control the trajectory of missiles to improve their acuracy in war.

The subject of my post developed an internet for everyone in the world to achieve international communication which, hopefully, will someday reduce the numbers of wars.

BBB

Not to take anything away from Berners-Lee, but while the more accurate laying of long-range naval artillery (hitting a moving target at a considerable distance from a moving platform is quite a trick) was pretty much the impetus which brought about the modern computer (by way of Jaquard's Loom, Babbage's Computational Engine, and The US Bureau of The Census ... go ahead and google 'em all together; you'll be fascinated), that had nothing whatsoever to do with ARPANET, which was conceived as a means by which to allow individual computer users to communicate and transfer data among one another through a network of computers. About the only connection between missles and ARPANET is that it itself was more or less a response to Sputnik.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:47 am
PamO.
Actually, I was not sure where it belonged. My first thought was to post it in the joke category. It seemed to be somewhat of a satire. Anyhow when in doubt general seems always to be the best bet.
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:09 am
i think i thunk too hard. am i missing something? i'm known to be a little naive at times...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » middle class republican...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:39:51