Do movie franchises presently exist on other planets?

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:15 pm
It strikes me: alien life is an absolute certainty, therefore mustn't it be an equal certainty that as of right now, cinemas and movie spin-offs exist elsewhere in the universe?

I'd even go a step further: any actor or actress in the history of Earth must be replicated elsewhere, meaning that anyone from Robert De Niro to Ava Gardner either currently exist on other planets, or have existed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,436 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:16 pm
Neither alien life, nor copies of Robert de Niro are 'absolute certainties'.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:25 pm
@Thomas33,
Yes. Yes they do.
Thomas33

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you. How does it make you feel, the idea that any of your experiences at the cinema are most likely replicated elsewhere?
Thomas33

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:44 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
I say absolute certainty only because of the expected size of the Universe - but what would be your prediction?
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:51 pm
Not absolute certainty. Simply knowing that something is “possible” doesn’t mean that the universe can ever be in a state that would eventually lead to that thing happening. As far as happening eventually: if it’s not happening now (in an infinite universe), it almost certainly never will.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 01:54 pm
@Thomas33,
Yea Tom I'd say so, esp after the recent announcement that there might be more planets than stars

Quote:
anyone from Robert De Niro to Ava Gardner
The names are likely but the individuals are probably different; that is, unless the Universe is infinite, which I strongly doubt
Thomas33

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:06 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
That's a good point: if Neve Campbell auditioning for the movie Scream hasn't happened yet elsewhere, there is a logic to the argument it'll never happen elsewhere.
Do you think it's likely that Neve Campbell auditioning for Scream has happened on another planet yet?
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:08 pm
@dalehileman,
Or it could be the reverse: the physical appearance of Robert De Niro is replicated (perhaps by the thousands), but in many cases the name is different, or the public status of the person is different.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:09 pm
My biggest criticism of the idea of infinite repetition is the assumption that the universe is infinite. Whether the universe is infinite or finite is a big open-ended question in cosmology that scientists may never answer. In the history of physics, situations emerged where infinities seemed impossible to avoid, yet improved theories eliminated the infinities. Currently the two basic theories in physics, general relativity and quantum theory, both predict infinities. In relativity, it's gravity singularities in black holes and the big bang. In quantum theory, it's vacuum energy and certain parts of quantum field theory. Perhaps both theories are simple approximations of a third more general theory without infinities. Paul Dirac once stated that the most important challenge in physics was "to get rid of infinity."

While I can't disprove I believe that the idea remains in the realm of philosophy, mythology, and sci-fi tales, not modern cosmology. I think it is "ironic science," a term used by science journalist John Horgan to describe options that do not converge on truth but are at best "interesting." Despite the accounts of many popular science books, the idea that our lives are being repeated an infinite number of times somewhere out in the universe is in no way certain and far from either probable or plausible.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:16 pm
@Thomas33,
By that logic, doesn't it also stand to reason that would be far more likely to stumble across billions of iterations of Alien Cinema with no similarity to our own, before we stumbled across a duplicate?
dalehileman

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:16 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Amen Tes, I can't dig infinity nuther. It suggests that if anything that can happen will happen, then there must be an infinite number of Tes and Dales at this very moment, with all input to "this" thread identical. Then an infinite number where it's all identical except for a comma in one of the postings
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:23 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
more likely to stumble across billions of iterations of Alien Cinema
That is of course, if we have a Big Crunch every time. An exact dupe however is unlikely in billions of sequential Universes. I'd guess maybe a sepoctillion or even sepoctillion factorial before even a close match
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:25 pm
Likely they use youtube, because they are too nearsighted to watch regular TV.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:26 pm
@rosborne979,
I understand your point, but don't necessarily agree: to me reality simply isn't big enough to account for billions of different forms of cinema.
I think the odds are that not only does our cinema exist elsewhere, but it exists probably tens of thousands of times.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:28 pm
@Thomas33,
And not to throw the cold water of light speed limits and universal expansion onto your wonderful speculation, but taking into account the physics of those things, isn't it more likely that we'll never find the duplicates because the probability is that they are beyond the Event Horizon of the Universe?

After all, if every possibility were already available to us, then we would pick up weak transmission in every direction we aimed our telescopes. And we don't. (bummer).
Thomas33

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:37 pm
@rosborne979,
My concern is the need to reflect: I'm convinced that duplicates are reality, and therefore anything which is a duplicate should be able to know it is a duplicate.

Hopefully life will one day get to perform interstellar and intergalactic travel, and can then make reality better because of the knowledge of reflection.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 03:36 pm
Man, in my wildest dreams i've never had drugs that good.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 05:26 pm
@Thomas33,
Here's my earthly actors that couldn't be replicated on another planet.
Tom Hanks, Henry Fonda, Laurence Olivier, Marlon Brando, Gregory Peck, James Stewart, William Holden, Orson Welles, James Mason, Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Clark Gable, George C Scott, Gary Cooper, Jack Nicholson, Sidney Poitier, John Wayne, Steve McQueen, Kirk Douglas, Groucho Marx, James Cagney, Tom Cruise, and Morgan Freeman.
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2016 10:17 pm
@Setanta,
With all the weird synthetics out there now, drugs this good are probably quite common. I mean, Thomas33 got some. Why not the rest of us?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do movie franchises presently exist on other planets?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:03:23