Burning man -- should I have helped?

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:07 pm
I was exiting a nightclub in Phoenix last night when I heard a blood-curdling scream.
Suddenly, from around the corner, a man came running right at me, and he was totally
engulfed in flames. The screams were unbearable. As he started rolling around in the
street trying to extinguish the flames I sat down on the curb, lit a cigarette, and
watched in fascination as he burned to a crisp. Now, in hindsight, I wonder if I should've
helped that poor fellow. There was plenty of water around; I suppose i could have easily
doused the flames. What do you think? Did I make a poor decision?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 712 • Replies: 19
No top replies

husker

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:13 pm
gus man - were you drinking?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:23 pm
You sure you're not referring to the Burning Man Festival?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:26 pm
Gus was too late, there was nothing he could do.

http://www.directimages.com/a2c-video-film-independent/images/p3/mainstage/burning-man-a-2c-01-01.jpg
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:40 pm
Ah, piss on him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:44 pm
It depends - Was the man asking for help or merely screaming? You can't be expected to deduce lucid communicating from a man who won't spell it out. I think you did about all that could be expected, Gus.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:45 pm
Did he happen to mention his politics?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:47 pm
Yes. I would have put him out, asked about his politics, then relit him if he did not answer correctly.

Happens all the time.

Not to worry.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:49 pm
Come to think of it, Setanta, he was screaming something like "I'm going to vote vote for George W. Bush"

I forgot about that part.

And come to think of it, I'm the guy who set him on fire.

( I guess I'd better curtail my drinking -- it's causing short-term memory loss )
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:50 pm
Did you use him to light your cigarette?

He obviously came out of a club full of flamers.

BOP!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:52 pm
Was there another Great White concert?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:54 pm
Terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 08:54 pm
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 09:20 pm
Gus--

Head for Black Rock City and ask them for absolution.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 04:05 pm
<ugh, ugh...wheeze....drag.....THUMP>
Here's another carton of disposable lighters, gus. When you run out, just let me know.

We've gotta get rid of as many of those damn Republicans as possible before November.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 04:09 pm
Maybe it was one of those anti-Kerry Swift Boat liars. Pants on fire and all that...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 04:20 pm
No you did the right thing Gus.

If someone is determined to burn themselves to death its their right to do so, strangers mustn't intefer. It would be rude in any case without a direct invitation. Did he say "please help I'm on fire and likely to be burnt crisp wise?" Its all a matter of ettiquette, or parafin, one or the other. For the same reasons, I hope you didn't light your cigarette off him. That would be a gross breach of manners.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 04:25 pm
I've been watching the Republican Convention and have taken to heart their message that in a free society, we shouldn't expect the gov't to take care of us. Unless, of course, we're Halliburton share holders and so forth.

So, if this poor benighted fellow happened to be on fire, either on purpose or otherwise, it would be wrong to intervene.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 02:12 pm
Absolutely, D'art. And gus, you really must stop all this indecision about your actions...."Did I do the right thing?"..."I think I did the right thing"..."I'm not sure if that was the right thing to do"... The fellow on fire, being a staunch Republican, would surely not appreciate all those flip-flops.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:57 pm
Anyone who doesn't know to stop drop and roll when that kind of thing happens, doesn't deserve to make the cut. Natural selection.

In the utopia of my dreams, we all revere Dick Van Dyke.

There's a meadow, a lot of Crisco...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Burning man -- should I have helped?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 12:27:05