A year without shopping. Could you? Would you?

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 12:42 pm
An article in my newspaper (http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/margie_boule/index.ssf?/base/living/109395381359061.xml) reports a family that went for a year without buying any non-consumable objects.

They did it just to see if they could. Now they're writing a book about it.

I'm not a big shopper but this article is really making me think about all the needless things I do buy, things I might want but really don't need to have, things I could get for free - from the library, say, and things I could barter for.

Still, I'm not at all sure that I could last a month, much less a year.

How about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,100 • Replies: 26
No top replies

mac11

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 12:45 pm
No clothes? No shoes? No way!

I could go a few months but not a whole year.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 12:50 pm
What did they use for toilet paper?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 12:53 pm
I think I could go for a year without buying clothes - especially shoes. That wouldn't be hard for me at all. Books and music would be my downfall.

They didn't quit buying toilet paper, laudry soap, that kind of stuff, jpin!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 01:04 pm
Sounds like 3rd year university to me. Potatoes, onions, carrots - chicken hotdogs for Sunday dinner. Nothing was bought that we didn't NEED. We were thrilled when hamburger and mrs. hamburger came by with a slab of swiss cheese on a visit (friends remember that swiss cheese 25 years later - we were all broke).
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 01:07 pm
i s'pose you'd call toilet paper consumable
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 01:08 pm
Thats a great analogy, eBeth.

So many things I used to consider luxuries are now necessities.
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:41 pm
i bet i could do it, boomerang. but yeah, books and music would be hard to give up. i'm a targetoholic...but i could do it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:44 pm
Ohhh. Target.

I would definately have to steer clear of that place.

Another thing I considered...

I work as a photographer so I obviously couldn't give up photo purchases -- but what about for my personal stuff? I don't know if I could give that up.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:50 pm
As long as I'm allowed to replace stuff that breaks, I think I could, so long as I was well stocked to begin with.

Do I have to give up satellite HDTV?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:51 pm
To clarify, that would be just me. I doubt it would work for kids since they outgrow stuff and need new things to keep them occupied. If we could barter...well....a big maybe.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:52 pm
Boomerang
What a great topic.

The basic dilemma is that we are all starting from different possession ownership quantities. At age 75, I have most everything that I need so I could problably do pretty well in such a challenge. But someone just starting out making their nest would find it much more difficult.

What would the ten top things you would find it hardest not to buy?

BBB
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:52 pm
No, you don't have to give anything up - but you can't stockpile anything either.

I was thinking of that stuff that breaks too - like my car. What if I needed new tires? That would be hard to do without.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:57 pm
What if your fridge broke?
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 03:30 pm
BBB---lemme think a minute...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 03:38 pm
Hi BumbleBeeBoogie and thanks!

The family in the article had, I believe, a couple of kids - I remember it mentions a 9 year old.

I think it might have been easier for me when I was just starting out - and used to doing without - like in eBeth's example.

On the top 10 things, I'll have to think. I know the first three would be books and music and photo lab services, but I'm sure I can come up with 7 more!
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 03:59 pm
1.) Toys for the pamlets
2.) books for hubby
3.) dvd's
4.) gifts for others...we have a gigantic family...I
guess we'd have to "make" gifts, huh? might be nicer! but more time consuming...Sad
5.) vacations--trips to beach, etc.
6.) fast food
7.) "fun" items at Target. I love the crap they sell, and I always buy it. You know, the red, plaid dog bed that your dog does not need...the lip gloss with a free eyeliner from maybelline...the giant red ball with spongebob on it...the tin of tangerine altoids that melt in the car anyhow...etc.
8.) hair thingys...ponytailers and headbands
9.) I think I'm done, actually! no number10!
10.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:49 pm
Okay - I can add my number four: pens and pencils. I know I currently have enough to last me the rest of my life but there is just something about the smell of Beryl turquoise leads and black warrior pencils and Rapidograph ink and pens that makes them irrestistable to me.

I don't think vacations or fast food would be off the list PamO. A vacation is not an object and fast food is certainly consumable (but really, you shouldn't).

I usually make gifts but that includes photo lab services so I really don't know what I'd do.

"Fun" items would be hard. Do you have "Big Lots" stores in Houston? We also have a place here called "City Liquidators". I can't walk in there without wanting to buy a bunch of stuff I don't need.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:02 pm
I can't do it while my diabetic cat is alive.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:17 pm
I need new undies, and fresh towels, and makeup. Every few months, I just have to buy this stuff. Its like a cyclical purging thing. I want all undies and towels and makeup GONE, and I want all new.

I'd probably have to go into therapy if I couldn't do this.

And, Boomerang's pencils remind me-- pens and notebooks. I am forever writing lists, notes, working on stories, journalling, Bible study, thoughts. Right now, I am collecting gel pens (red, green, blue and black) and fat notebooks.

Couldn't do without these. I always have to be writing something.

Besides that, I think I'd be OK. Not to needy in the shoe/clothes area. But, I have to have my hair done.

Otherwise, I'd be happy browsing.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A year without shopping. Could you? Would you?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:55:56