CHILD'S PLAY-Post Your Memories

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 09:25 pm
We lived at one time in the CA foothills, near Milpetas (sp?). The rolling hills were grassy. We took strips of corrugated metal and curved one end, creating crude sleds to slide down them. We often were cut on the hands and arms. We also made carts with wheels to roll down the road to the mail box. I would guess it to have been half a mile to it. It was a slope so gentle, a quick walker might have kept up with us. Downside, it was a long walk back, dragging those carts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 10:13 pm
I had a flexible flyer, but no hill, in Chicago... only time I got to use it was before we moved there, in New York City one winter, for a couple of months. There was a hill across the street from our apartment house, part of the school property... I was a scaredy cat wimp anyway, and had no clue of the joys that panzade is talking about. Gee, that was the same school they lined us up in at recess to shoot baskets. Hah, I got nowhere near it. Never held a basketball before. I got a shade more athletic once I had pals to play with in Chicago.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 12:31 pm
Pals bring out one's athleticism I'm sure
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 12:35 pm
When I was about 11 years old a neighbor friend of mine helped me build a 4x4 raft ; we had been reading Huckleberry Finn. We talked some gullible grown up into taking us to the headwaters of a creek that ran behind our house. All that day we struggled to drag that heavy thing over the shallow parts. Every once in a while we actually got to float for a few minutes. I arrived home that evening minus the raft and any longing for adventure.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:54 pm
Re: CHILD'S PLAY-Post Your Memories
Quote:
I see a lot of A2kers waxing nostalgic over the goodle days of being young and carefree. It got me thinking about the games we would make up and play. What activities did you enjoy? Your favorite telephone pranks. Was it safer then? Were we more unsupervised?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:08 pm
Great post, just what I was looking for in this thread.

Jumpsies?
Blackballs
Nicky nine doors
Skidding behind the milk truck (glass bottles with cardboard stoppers) ?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:15 pm
It's funny, I heard something on the radio today that brought back some memories. The DJ was talking about the days when you HAD to own Kodiak Greb boots for winter, perferably steel-toed. They were prohibihitively expensive at the time for some people, including my folks, so we got a pair of knock-offs, Cougars. Well, the bullies didn't take kindly to my boots, called them 'elf-boots' and called me all sorts of names related to a sexual persuasion I am not. They wanted to beat the crap out of me, but what they didn't understand was that I had made alliances with cooler, richer kids who could afford said boots, and came to my defence in strength. Muahaha....then there was the time I nearly got a concussion during 'dodgeball', just before it was banned.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:23 pm
What were you using soccer balls?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:24 pm
I think so...but they felt like medicine balls.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:25 pm
so cav...help me with my Canadian game lore?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:31 pm
Dodgeball, a.k.a. murderball, involved huge jocks tossing balls of indeterminate volume and weight at nerds. At least, that's how I remember it. My friend and I used to go on 'suicide' missions, and get tagged by one of the weaker members of the opposite team, literally jumping into the wake of the oncoming ball, just so we would be eliminated from the game, and have time to talk about music while sitting on the bench.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:32 pm
You were what we called a schmuck you lovable boy.
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:34 pm
Panzade said, "Now the finest sled was made by Flexible Flyer. Hands down."

Hey, Panzade, I live within spittin' distance of where Flexible Flyers are now manufactured...still want one?

www.needak.com/ff100y.pdf: "In 1973, a group of private investors including five Blazon employees bought The Leisure Group's toy division which had plants in Medina and West Point and consolidated all operations in West Point, Mississippi under the name of Blazon Flexible Flyer, Inc., where sleds continue to be made today."
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:36 pm
Great news! I'm afraid I'll never be in that FF strata.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:37 pm
panzade wrote:
You were what we called a schmuck you lovable boy.

I learned a lot about music, and for that I am proud. Cool
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:39 pm
Your music sense is what drew me to A2k...or have you forgotten?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:16 pm
Quote:
Jumpsies?
Blackballs
Nicky nine doors
Skidding behind the milk truck (glass bottles with cardboard stoppers) ?

Ahhh…jumpsies…Lucky the kids who could rely on old mom or dad for elastics. Joined together and stretched between two kids they made the perfect high jump challenge…"no touchies!" We'd raise the elastic "bar" higher and higher…lots of scraped knees.

Blackballs were much like jawbreakers but much smaller -- about the size of a marble. They were little black balls of very hard candy that changed colours as you sucked through all the layers, eventually dissolving into a tiny speck of white. (not a game but still a pastime…)

Nicky nine doors - you must know this one! Different name likely…ever ring a doorbell and run away? I'm snorting now in memory….

Grabbing a hold of the milk truck bumper and skidding along behind it on the icy streets was *wicked* fun, for sure. The milkman used to let us! Imagine that happening now? Cardboard stoppers was simply a reference to the era…
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:36 pm
panzade wrote:
Your music sense is what drew me to A2k...or have you forgotten?

Absolutely not. I even remember the cute doggie avatar you originally had. Smile 'Schmuck' is just a funny term for me, growing up around semi-yiddish speakers. Here's another memory: I used to think that when Jewish people got old, they automatically learned to speak Yiddish. I was a kid, and the only people who I knew that spoke Yiddish were all old. It was the logical conclusion.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:38 pm
i concur, that's why my grandma called me schmutsfink
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:39 pm
Joeblow...we were a bit more evil. Put dog poop in a brown paper bag and lit it on fire on the front porch...THEN rang the doorbell. Much hilarity.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/15/2024 at 11:24:06