Electrical Question

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:13 pm
I have two hallway ceiling lights that will not turn on. I have checked the breaker box. All breakers are okay. I have replaced the bulbs - still no light. The hallway receptacle works and lights in bedrooms off hallway all work. Ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 189 • Replies: 7
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 07:41 am
@tavelallemant,
Are the two lights on the same switch?

If so, you likely have some issue at the switch like a loose wire. If you have a voltmeter, use it to see if you have current to the input side of the switch. If you do, then check the output side with the switch in the on and off position. If the switch is good, then do the same check on the closest light to the switch.
tavelallemant

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 04:33 pm
@engineer,
I have two switches. I have a small hand held electric voltmeter so will check each switch. How do I know which is the input side of the switch?
0 Replies

tavelallemant

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 05:19 pm
@engineer,
I cannot get any reading on my voltmeter on either switch. the voltmeter works because I've checked it in an outlet. One switch has two red wires top and bottom on one side, two black wires top and bottom on the other side, and a ground wire on the bottom of the switch. The second switch has a red wire on top of one side and the ground, I think, on the bottom that side and two black wires top and bottom of the other side. Any sense? Am I just not making a good contact?
0 Replies

tavelallemant

Reply Wed 25 May, 2016 05:48 pm
@engineer,
The second switch (re: 5:19 post) has wires going into the switch body (ie., not directly attached to the outside screws)
0 Replies

tavelallemant

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 11:27 am
@engineer,
Both lights are on same two switches.
engineer

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 11:45 am
@tavelallemant,
This link is what your wiring probably looks like with some slightly different coloring. Here is a test for you. There are four different combinations for your switches: off/off, off/on, on/off and on/on. If one of those connections marked by a wire nut is broken, you still might find that one of those combinations works. Also, when you use your voltmeter, test between all three wires and the ground. One wire (if it is wired like this) should show voltage to ground if the circuit is powered.

https://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/images/wiring1l.gif
engineer

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 12:31 pm
@engineer,
Also, look at the wiring behind the switches. If the connection between the white wires in the diagram for either switch (the yellow wire nut pointing left) has come loose, you aren't going to get any power to the light.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Electrical Question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/13/2024 at 06:20:42