0 Replies

Tonyoung

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 12:45 am
What is the meaning of "slappy" ,and "fire drill"? Question
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:13 am
Tonyoung wrote:
What is the meaning of "slappy" ,and "fire drill"?

slappy: like to cuff the ears
fire drill : fire department exercise in their job.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 03:03 am
Thok wrote:
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Oh, and China is also a place which I connect with tasty food Smile

same here , also the Great Wall of China, unique.

but, about politics : The goverment should create a party which called , CKP , communist-kapitalist party of China. If possible, with more democracy...
Then, the should to follow the human right.

YEAH, for the fairness i admit that the political condition in China now is flawy and not truely democratic. That is true i cannot cover that.
But as i always say:China needs time. When the economic and living condition get better and better the demands for democracy, more human rights, a more transparent government etc. must get higher and higher. And when that day truelly and eventually arrives, nobody is capable of eliminating it.
Time, I always says that. Please be patient Smile
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 03:16 am
John-Bush wrote:
Time, I always says that. Please be patient

You are right.

I mean, that the movement in Hong Kong should also come to the other parts of China. :-)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:02 am
Chinese fire drill
A Chinese fire drill is a harmless prank, or perhaps just an expression of high spirits, popular in America during the 1960s. It is performed when a car is stopped at a red traffic light, at which point all of the car's occupants get out, run around the car, and return to their own (or other) seats.
The term is also used as a figure of speech to mean any ineffective and chaotic exercise. It comes from a British tendency around the time of World War I to use the adjective Chinese as a slur, implying "confused, disorganized, or inferior". [1] Today the expression may seem to have lost much of its insulting meaning and many people say it without realizing the offense it might cause to others.

Slappy is a name we use for a buffoon.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:18 am
I'm nearly right abot the fire drill. :-)

But on the "Slappy" .... thanks for the annotation.
0 Replies

Tonyoung

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:25 pm
panzade ,
Thanks for your kindly explanation.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 05:30 am
apropos.... What is with the internet account in China? There are still the report about censorship etc. ?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 05:43 am
It really would be good, if someone would commend the quoted article below.

However, if there really is an internet police/censorship ... :wink:

Quote:
China has internet blacklist
By Richard Spencer in Beijing
(Filed: 04/09/2004)

Chinese computer hackers have discovered a list of officially banned words and topics, casting new light on the shadowy world of the country's 30,000 internet police.

The list originally found its way on to personal computers without their owners' knowledge after they downloaded it as part of a programme needed to operate an instant messaging service.

It is believed that the list, or one like it, was already being used to alert censors automatically to read e-mails which contained them.

Those who unwittingly downloaded it on to their machines found they were unable to send some messages at all, or search for internet documents containing them.

Some topics were predictable: human rights, democracy and phrases used to describe the Tiananmen Square massacre.

But others showed the full sensitivity of the authorities, The list included the name of President Hu Jintao and the words liberty, Christian, truth, sex and brassiere.

China has an estimated 80 million internet users, more than any country apart from America. The authorities are proud of this sign of modernity, but also aware of the danger of free access to ideas, information and even political organisations.

Internet companies are required to censor their own sites and bulletin boards, and many overseas sites, including BBC News, are blocked altogether.

Although most censorship is conducted by the government or Chinese companies, foreign firms such as Yahoo have been criticised for agreeing to abide by the rules as an operating condition.

The system has been nicknamed "the Great Firewall of China".
Source
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 08:48 pm
From my perspective: China is my country. I love it, I love the people - everything.

From my australian law peers perspective: not so great. here are some comments:

"Oh, you're just a communist aren't you, you just want to take over the world..."

"Oh come on, why should Taiwan be a part of horrible china..."

"I don't agree with howard's keeness to do a free trade deal with china. You guys are dictators, have no regard for human rights..."

I don't know whether to laugh from the absurdity of it all or to cry from the ignorance they show.
0 Replies